Thursday, October 18, 2012

Um... I've Been Turned Into A Cow...

 Sundays are a mixture of joy and worry. I love going to church. I genuinely do. I love dressing Pierscen up in nice clothes. You put by boys together and you have two handsome dudes!


But church is so hard with a mobile baby! When he could just roll over, it wasn't too bad to just spread out a blanket by us and put down a bunch of toys. But now he doesn't want to hold still. And he doesn't want to be held either.


Of course there is no such thing as a block of church that doesn't interfere with someone's nap time. Pierscen is no different. We have had church from 1-4 and now from 9-12 and both are super rough. If we were home and could just lay Pierscen down, it wouldn't be a problem. But in order for him to fall asleep, it requires one of us (usually me) to walk the halls, let him crawl, alternate attempting to lay him down in my arms and then letting him go again. He eventually will fall asleep, but it will never last longer than 20 minutes. It's exhausting.


Admittedly, some days I have a really hard time having a good attitude. I am not learning a whole lot in class considering I am usually wandering the halls. But at the same time, that's how I have met several of the younger sisters in the yard. Same predicament. 

I have joked with my mom that I feel like from the time a kid starts to crawl to 18 months when they can go into nursery that moms should be excused. It reminds me of Emperor's New Groove when the soldiers get turned into various animals. "Um... I've been turned into a cow. Can I go home?"

Sigh... you mothers with multiple kids... how do you do it? 


Well this last Sunday was no less difficult, but there were some redeeming qualities. This was the first time I have ever actually done his hair. Can you believe that? I don't know why I never have. I have wanted to for quite a while, but just never have. In addition, we found his little tie, and boy did he look amazing? What a stud!!! He is so stinking cute!


He got lots of attention from the ladies and other moms. At one point, I stood him up on my lap and he turned to look at some girls behind us... and belched. They burst into laughter. Nice, P, nice. He was already tired when we got there, and within the first 10 minutes of church we had gone through all of our cards. Everything we could think of to keep him entertained. Ah!


Relief Society was hilarious. After Pierscen's short nap, he ate his bottle and made friends with the lady across the aisle. She pulled off her bracelet and let him play with that for a while and then handed him a container of mints. He loved that! 


The rattling from the container attracted another little boy that was sitting in the back. He came cruising up and the battle began. Pierscen totally lit up as he saw the little boy coming towards him. FRIEND! Even though these pictures look like it was a little violent, it was so cute. They kept passing the mints back and forth. There was no screaming or crying. Just lots of fun.


As we were getting ready to go, the same lady that was letting them play with the mints gave them each a sucker. P has never had a sucker. He is now a fan.


Don't panic. I have no intention of letting him have suckers on a regular basis. 


We let him suck on it on the way home and then tossed the rest. 


Sundays are hard. I wish I could say differently. I love dressing Pierscen up, and I love being there, but it is really tough. I know it will get better. I look forward to Pierscen making good friends. And I know I will make friends through it too.

2 comments:

  1. Amen to that! It boggles my mind why they don't have nursery start at the age of 15 months. There were times I was sooo tired all I wanted to do was cry and go home. But just remember that you're there for a reason. I really do think kiddos can sense the spirit, and although they do have an extremely short attention span, they can feel that spirit, and the more and more you continue to take them to chruch each week, the more they will learn to love it and look forward to going! I feel for ya. Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugg. I feel your pain. Here's a secret...I hate Sunday. Charlotte wont sit still. Blake doesn't come. So I wrangle 3 little monsters all on my lonesome. Last week I mentally quit forever about 15 minutes in. But I probably wont quit forever. Probably. Wish I had some advice for you, enjoy walking the halls 'til 18 months!

    ReplyDelete