Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Dash Of "Fall"

The Saturday morning of General Conference, we woke up to this:


Holy snow! I knew it wouldn't last long, but it was still a bit of a shocker. Sure enough, by the end of the afternoon, it was pretty much gone.


This was the only snow storm we have had so far, but the weather has definitely cooled down. And that wind! Wow, the weren't lying! It doesn't stop! We have enjoyed several really gorgeous fall days. I love the colors, the sounds, and the smells of fall.


We spend lots of time inside where it is warm. As I have mentioned before, I just love hoodies, so fall weather is wonderful for me.



We have already made lots of use of our wood burning stove. Ryan bought a pellet insert for the stove and we also bought 2 cords of wood. We fill the pellet basket insert about 2/3rds full, then put wood on top and in front. That makes one amazing fire. It is wonderful!



We are also loving the hot chocolate season. :) Ryan likes to make it nice and hot and then put in a small scoop of vanilla ice cream. It cools down the drink and makes it oh so creamy. Yummy!


I made my first "batch" of what I learned is called "mulled" cider. When I think of apple cider, I don't think of apple juice. But that's essentially what they sell in the store. In the fall you will see cases and cases of "apple cider." It's apple juice. Nothing else. But when I think apple cider, I think cinnamon, cloves, all spice... cozy fires... etc. So I looked for some recipes online and found that what I was looking for is actually "mulled" cider. Technicalities. 

Anyway, it was not a good experience. I thought for sure I had a bag of cinnamon sticks, but I didn't. However, the recipe I used said you could use regular cinnamon just the same. I imagine this is true, but I think the amounts were way off. It was like drinking sludge. I really like cinnamon, and this was gross. Sad, sad experience. I think I will just warm up my "apple cider" from now on. Does anyone have a fool proof recipe I could try? 

I hope everyone is enjoying fall where ever you are... and that it's not too snowy... yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment