Tuesday, October 16, 2012

3 Month Post-Op

 The last week of September Pierscen and I drove to Utah for P's 3 month post-op checkup, though technically it was only a few days shy of being 4 months. But who is counting?


I was nervous to drive out on my own with just little P. We left around 9:30 am after stopping by Ryan's work to say goodbye. Shortly after hitting the road P went into melt down. He was super exhausted and if we had been home he would have been going back down for his morning nap. I really didn't want to stop already and wasn't totally sure what to do, so I just kept driving. It took a while, but he eventually put himself to sleep.


We stopped in Rawlins to top off on gas, feed him a bottle, and let him crawl around in the back cargo area. Nicia gave us a bottle warmer she had picked up at a garage sale once upon a time and I just have to say, that thing was a lifesaver!


Our next stop was at Little America. We spent the most time here playing with the dinosaur (most of the pictures in this blog), the buffalo sculpture, eating in the back of the car and crawling around.


From there it was full steam ahead. He started to get fussy towards the end again, but I didn't feel it was worth stopping - and it wasn't considering he just put himself to sleep again. He did really well. He has always been a good traveler, but it still made me nervous to do it on my own. I listened to Hunger Games to stay awake. I have already "read" them via the iPod, but it is a great story and it's been several years.


When we got to town, we went to Ryan's parents first. Unfortunately, Ellen was out in Lehi picking beans so we weren't able to see her before I needed to head to my parents and put Pierscen down for the night, but at least we got to spend some good time with Clair.

Of course getting to bed didn't go quite as planned because P's cousins came over to say hello. They were were super excited to see him. They were especially impressed by his crawling. :) 


Wednesday morning was his check-up. His appointment was scheduled for 8:45 am. What in the world possessed me to set it up for that time I will never know. I mean, yes I remember thinking - he will be awake, that will work. But that's commuter traffic. In Salt Lake County. What was I thinking?! I think I have already been spoiled by the lack of traffic in Wyoming. Granted I have always hated driving in the Salt Lake area, but that drive was about enough to get me to swear off it for the rest of my life. Ugh!


Every appointment we have had, we've been called back almost immediately and the doctor has been in within 5 minutes. This time was no different, except the doctor didn't come in for 45 minutes. I was trying not to be frustrated. Pierscen was getting tired and these check ups are always 5 minutes or less anyway, so the fact that we had to wait for forever was really frustrating. 


However, the wait I guess was worth the news. His doctor was very impressed with his progress. He says everything is looking great and that we don't have to set up another appointment for 6-9 months. 

"Wait," I said, "6-9 months post-op or 6-9 months from now?"

"6-9 months from now. Next spring some time."

Yes!!! I can't tell you what a wait that was off my chest. From what we were first told, the next check up would have been Dec/Jan. I was scared to death to make that drive on my own. September is one thing. Unpredictable Wyoming winter weather? That's definitely another. They close the freeways when it gets bad. What would I have done if that happened? Yes, next spring sounds amazing. 

Ellen wasn't so happy about this news. I told her not to worry. That doesn't mean we won't be back before then. It just means I won't be forced to come back in scary weather by myself. :) 


That evening I was able to head down to Utah Valley and say hi to a bunch of friends and co-workers. It worked out really well because it was staff meeting, so Jeanette had me come at the end so I could see the most people. I really miss that place. I miss my friends. I really do consider them my friends. It wasn't a perfect place. There was still plenty of drama and junk, but the group I worked with really were amazing.


The rest of the trip was really nice. I was able to spend a lot more time with family this time. Last time I felt so stressed trying to make things work. This time it was so much more relaxed and enjoyable. I went out to eat with Necia at Smash Burger where Pierscen tried his first french fry. I think he is still undecided on them.


Thursday night we had a great dinner at Ryan's parents where P was able to spend time with his cousins on that side. Chloe was especially cute with him. She made sure that he was never without a toy to make him happy. It was adorable.


We sent Ryan a text teasing him that Pierscen was playing with Barbies in the doll house. But on closer look he was playing with Timon and Pumbaa, so no worries there. ;)


It was great to see Matt and Jen, Jess and Cameron and all their kids. It was a great evening. 


Friday was my mom's birthday. In the morning I went to spinning at the Rec Center (Oh how I have missed that class!!!) My friends Margaret and Jackie were there so we sat around at talked for about an hour after class. That was really nice too. Pierscen was at Ellen's. I went to pick him up but he had just gone down for a nap. It worked out better that way anyway cause I didn't have much time before we were going to take my mom to lunch.

Necia, Caroline and I took my mom to Zupas. I love that place. I always get the same thing. Turkey Cranberry Sandwich with the Nuts About Berries Salad. A.Maze.Ing. Seriously. It was a really pleasant time. We were able to sit there for quite a while and just talk. The value of girl time can never be underestimated. 

Happy birthday mom! 

Check out the black berry from my salad!


Saturday morning, Pierscen and I said our goodbye's to my family and then headed over to Ryan's parents. We gave them hugs and hit the road close to 7:30. Pierscen was an amazing trooper on the way home and we only stopped once in Rock Springs. It only took us 7 hours to get home. Not bad! Cut off an hour on the way to Utah.

I am grateful to have such a great little guy who travels so well. It was a really enjoyable trip and I am glad we got to spend so much time with family. We are such blessed. Can't wait to see them again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment