Sunday, October 7, 2012

Capturing The Journey

Dodger has learned the word "walk" so if we aren't quite ready to take him out, we will use the word "journey" or something similar as to not get his hopes up right away. Our journeys are still a major part of our day to day existence. The weather lately has been that perfect fall crispness, borderline chilly, but typically not too bad. (Unless you are talking about the weather in the last couple days. Then we are talking about super cold and snow. But that's besides the point.)

If the weather permits, and if Pierscen is awake enough, we like to walk with Ryan half way to work and then will meet him half way on the return walk home. One day once we had met up with Ryan, we decided to take a detour down Grant St to visit Grant Street Grocery. If you didn't know it was there, you would miss it. Grant St is a gorgeous section of Casper. Picturesque, quaint, amazing. And out of nowhere is this little grocery store, the same style and size as many of the houses. 


Since we had Dodger with us, we both couldn't go in, so Ryan dashed in to get a few items. As we were waiting, a young boy, who I am guessing was about 6 years old, rode up barefoot on his bike. He parked his bike at the bike stand and dashed inside. Less than 30 seconds later he returned with an ice cream bar in hand. 

I was surprised by his speed. I thought there was no way that he could have had time to actually pay for it. So as he reached his bike, I struck up conversation.

"Ice cream?! You are so lucky. Did it cost a lot?" I asked.

"No, I just put it on my tab," he responded.

To say I was taken aback by this response is an understatement. It was all I could do to hold back the explosion of laughter coming from my throat. What six year old knows about a tab? This grocery store is neither a bar, nor is this the 1800s. 


"Your tab?" I asked.

"Yeah. A tab is this piece of paper where if you don't have money, you just put it on your tab," he explained.

"Oh. Well do you pay it back eventually?" I asked.

"Yeah, when I have money." And with that he was speeding off on his bike, ice cream already coating the corner of his mouth.



I could not stop laughing. What a priceless moment.


Below are a bunch of pictures from some of our other journeys. Pierscen has such a funny personality and is always pulling the funniest faces. I can't get enough of this kid.







And another one... You can tell these are taken in rapid succession. I think that's part of what makes these pictures so priceless. One face to the next in a matter of seconds.




On one such journey, when it was actually just Dodger and myself, a movement in the backyard of a house a block or so away from our home caught my eye. There was a 2 x 2 buck sharpening its antlers against a tree. I stood and watched it for a while (Dodger was oblivious) when I noticed that another buck was laying in the shade just a short distance in front of the other one. Dodger and I kept walking for a bit until we reached the other side of this house when I noticed a third buck, this one a 4 x 4. It was rather thrilling to see them so close. So Dodger and I ran home and grabbed Ryan and made him come see them too.


These pictures aren't the best, but I didn't want to get too close to them, and this is as far as my phone camera would zoom. The one of the left is the 2 x 2 and the right is the 4 x 4. I don't know where the third buck was.


This is the actual view from the street. They look pretty small from here. But of course in real life you could see them much better.


This is certainly nothing you would see on a day to day basis back home! It certainly makes our "journeys" just that - journeys!

No comments:

Post a Comment