Wednesday, October 10, 2012

88 Key Dream Come True

I have always dreamed of having my own piano. In the dream scenario, I would have a perfect piano parlor that was meant just for a baby grand. I don't really know why, but I would prefer a baby grand over a full size grand. But, that being said, I would also almost be afraid to play it. Well, not so much me. But kids definitely. Pianos can take a lot of abuse, but still. 

But the truth of it is, any piano would be a dream come true. Anything I could call my own. 

Well owning one has not been a realistic dream thus far because we spent the first almost 6 years of marriage in a basement apt, then moved to a one bedroom apt. Now that we are in our own home, I told Ryan that getting a piano was a pretty big priority for me. I have been saving up for just that. However, how we would get one was still a little questionable.

Wyoming is anything but great when it comes to classifieds. I have definitely been spoiled by KSL. True, KSL classifieds extends into Wyoming, but not as far as we are. Have you ever looks at Craigslist for Wyoming? Instead of being divided by major regions or cities, all it has is "Wyoming." The entire state counts as one thing. I have found a few possibilities on there, but they are usually across the state. We don't have a truck or anything, so even if we found one, how would we get it here?

A few weeks ago, I was perusing the classified section of our main newspaper online, The Star Tribune. The pickings were pretty small, but I did find one ad for a large sale that mentioned a piano. There was no date for the sale or location. I picked up the phone and called the number listed. They didn't answer, but I left a message stating I was interested in the piano and to please call me back.


Later that evening, I received a call in return. The sale was scheduled for that Saturday, (this was a Wednesday). It was a moving sale - everything must go sort of thing - and it was located on the west side of Casper. Perfect! I asked about the piano, the type, the condition, the asking price, etc. The man said it is a Wurlitzer, in fantastic condition (they bought it for their two daughters for lessons years ago, but they hardly played at all and it has just been a pretty piece of furniture since) and they were asking $500. $500 for a practically brand new Wurlitzer?! Yes please! I asked him if he was willing to let me come by... like right now... cause I really REALLY wanted it. He said sure and off we went.


On the drive out there Ryan told me he was 100% supportive of me getting a piano, but I was going to have to find a way to move it. He said he wouldn't do it. I argued that Nicia and Joe were coming that weekend and they could bring their truck. We have missionaries that love to serve. Or other friends could help out. But Ryan insisted I find a moving company or something. That way none of us break our backs. 


I brooded over this the whole way out there. When we arrived, Sheila, the wife (well, ex-wife - they have been divorced for a year and are just now selling the house) showed me to the piano while Morris, the husband, worked on packing and organizing. The piano is totally gorgeous. The woodwork is amazing. I need to get some better pictures! The legs are spiral cut. It is beautiful. I tinkered around on it a little and then told them I absolutely wanted it, but I didn't know how I would get it to my house. Sheila then said that she knew of a piano tuner who is also a piano mover. She didn't know his number but could give me his name. (Turns out he is the only one in the city anyway, so he wouldn't have been hard to find.) But that gave me hope! I asked them how much they wanted me to put down on it and Morris said,

"Oh honey, you don't need to put anything down. You are a good person and I can tell getting this piano means a lot to you. You don't need to put anything down."


I looked at Sheila.
"You can put down $100," she said flatly. 

Hahaha. You can tell who is running the show there! I handed over the money and they had me write down my info and attached it to the piano so others would know it was sold. They told me the piano just had to be out of the house by the following Thursday and to call them and let them know when I had made arrangements with the piano mover.


As soon as I got home I called the piano man and through a series of tag phone calls arranged to have it picked up on Monday, the day before I had to leave for Utah for P's 3 month post-op check up.

I was so stinking stoked! Ryan said I should keep it a secret and just send out a picture when we got it here. And that's pretty much what I did... except I told Nicia. I couldn't help it. I was bursting at the seams with excitement. I think she probably thought I was going to tell her I was pregnant since I was whispering and told her it was a secret. Haha. To her credit she still did a very good job showing lots of enthusiasm for me even though she probably thought I was a fruit cake. :)


On Saturday morning (the second weekend Nicia and Joe came to help) Nicia and I drove back out to the estate sale so I could finish paying them and to see if they had anything else worth grabbing.

Morris really wanted me to play something, but I didn't know what to play. I have nothing memorized and they only had little kid books. I opened a Christmas duet book and made Nicia plunk along with me. We were both giggling and laughing hysterically, just like we always do when we get together.

"You two are silly," Morris stated. We explained that we have been best friends since 7th grade and fate had finally brought us back together for a few months before the United States Air Force split us up again.


I finally decided to play a piece that I wrote. When I finished, I just gushed and gushed about how excited I was and how much the piano meant to me and Nicia tossed in that I wrote the song I just played. Morris was very very complimentary. He stood in the doorway to the kitchen and as I stood to go over and talk to him, and thank him for the 10 billionth time, he put his face in the crook of his arm and kind of back pedaled away from me. That's when I noticed he was crying. And then I started crying. And then Nicia started crying. It was quite the scene. But there honestly are no words for what this piano means to me.  Music is everything. I know I am not the best teacher in the world, but I have the best example in the world - my old teacher Kim. If I could be like anyone when I grow up, it would be Kim. I don't think she has any clue how much she has inspired me. And now that I have my very own piano, I want to start teaching again. I want to help set that spark in others hearts.

I have no doubt that Heavenly Father had a hand in making this possible. I had all but given up even trying the classifieds. When I first called Morris, he told me that he was going to sell it to an old co-worker of his, but it wouldn't fit down her stairs, so it was back for sale. I feel bad for the co-worker, but it was perfect for me. Other than the limited use it had received from his daughters, Morris speculated that it probably hadn't been used at all. They bought it from a lady that had lots of money and a room that felt too empty, so she bought the piano to fill the space. What would it be like to have so much money you can buy a brand new piano just to fill the space. Wow. Its limited use was proven when the piano tuner came by to tune it (just a few days ago) and said the hammers are hardly warn at all.


I drove back to the house Monday afternoon to meet with the piano movers so they could follow me to my place. I gave Morris and Sheila a thank you card and went my way. A little while later I received the following text:

"Hi. Thank u for sweet words. Meeting u was a delightful treat. And a godsend amongst this chaos...parting w/things is not easy. My girls played in Church a piece they learned on your piano... i would give a lot to hear u play when u got Wurlitzer home... your outward passion and joy is a way bright light. An organist at Methodist downtown blows me away. So did u/w ur spontaneous playing.... i have to hear more.... Me"


How sweet is that?! I asked him what he is planning to do now - where he is planning to go and live. He doesn't really know. He told Ryan he will likely "snowbird" it. Head south for the winter, and back to the Rockies for the summers. If he is still in town, I would like to have him over for dinner and play something for him. I obviously don't know much about him, but it seems like things have been kind of rough for him (them) in the last few years. Their two daughters live quite literally on opposite ends of the country (Vermont and Oregon.) With the marriage over, they have nothing to keep them here. I am grateful to have met them. I didn't interact with Sheila much, except to buy a camo chair for hunting/fishing for Ryan at the sale. But I talked to Morris quite a bit. He is a good man. I hope he can find happiness.

I have had quite the time trying to find the right arrangement for the piano and couches. Against the wall would be best, but it puts the recliner with its back to the door and Ryan doesn't want that. It works the way it is now, but I think I may move the chair upstairs and add a couple smaller chairs on that bottom level. 

If anyone needs lessons, please give me a call! :)

3 comments:

  1. I love this story!! Thanks for sharing it! I miss having a piano and am totally jealous of your beautiful piano!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was such a fun day, and I am so happy you got your piano!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I've been busy with school and haven't visited your blog for a while... I love the background! Also the pictures of prodigy P playing the piano were precious (hmmm, a lot of alliteration in that sentence). This again reveals I haven't been here recently, but wow, he looks so grown up and expressive! You guys are a really cute pair ;) And this may be off topic but I laughed so hard at the LOTR mixup - marrying my husband has turned me into even more of a nerd than I am, but ESPECIALLY a LOTR nerd. It was quite hilarious.

    ReplyDelete