Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Decor Decisions

I know, I know. Kind of silly to have a whole post - or any post for that matter, dedicated to my home decor decisions, but it's a big deal for me! Haha. Months and months ago I purchased a "Good Eats" sign from Bed Bath and Beyond on clearance. It sat in my garage because I didn't know where to put it. I finally put it up above the cupboards and then decided it was time to do something with the rest of the space. 

A vintage market came to town and I went with a couple of my friends. I really wanted to buy something, but assumed it would all be overpriced. Add the word
"vintage" or "antique" to anything and the price usually skyrockets. But I was pleasantly surprised. I ended up purchasing a jewelry holder (which I had no intention of using for jewelry, a farmers market bucket, a jar, and some lambs ear and some cotton. Then I went straight to Hobby Lobby to get a couple other things because I finally had some direction and knew what I wanted. 

For the first time, probably ever, I went straight it and with very little deliberation, picked out a blue plate, cup, and some blue flowers. 

The next day, I went to work. This is what I came up with:





I loved it! But... there was something bothering me a bit. Couldn't quite put my finger on it. It was beautiful as it was, but when I asked Ryan if he thought it was too feminine, he replied, "Which part? The cutesty part or the flowery part?" He said it jokingly because honestly he doesn't care, but that's when I figured it out. It WAS too flowery! I'm not a huge flower person in decor. Like I said, it was pretty as it was, but there really were too many flowers. I started by removing them from the jar and raising the jar up a bit to just stand on its own. That helped a lot. Then I decided to remove it from the bouquet on my jewelry holder. That really did the trick. I loved the lambs ears, but you couldn't really see it behind the flowers. And once it was gone I realized that I had purchased the blue stuff to be an accent color, but by including it all over the place, it had become the theme rather than the accent. Take away the flowers (minus one sprig in the bucket) and that did the trick!





It's a small thing, but it has made a very big difference in the way the kitchen feels. And it had also made a big impact on making this house feel like home. I get it. Spending money on decor sometimes feels like a waste. It's just STUFF. But it's incredible how it makes things so much more personal and homey! Totally worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment