Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was awesome. This year, Ryan was able to get off a little early on Tuesday and we began our trek North. We stayed in Moab again. This year we got a different hotel that had an indoor pool, gym, and hot breakfast. The pool is a big deal for my fishy boys. After eating some dinner, we all went swimming, then while Ryan got the kids in bed, I went to the gym and went for a run. It was really nice! Then in the morning, the boys went swimming again, I used the elliptical, we ate breakfast, and enjoyed a non-rushed start to the rest of our trip. It was like a mini vacation and it was really nice and much needed. 

Thanksgiving morning, Necia came to pick Ryan and I up for the Thankful 13 5K at Thankgiving Point. I have always wanted to run a 5k on Thanksgiving. Necia and I signed up for one years and years ago, but it was literally 5 degrees when I woke up that morning and I said, "Nope. You can keep my money, City of Orem." I was going to sign up for one to do on my own while we were out there, but then Necia reached out and asked if I wanted to do the Thanksgiving Point one. Yes!!! And before we knew it, we had a whole group ready to go! It was chilly - I think it wasn't quite 30 degrees when we got there, but that's way better than 5!






Pre-race excitement. I do have to say, it was awesome to have Caroline join us. She has done a number of obstical course races, but though she has signed up for something like six 5ks in the past, this is the first one she has completed. Go Caroline!


Some weirdo pretending to be squawking turkeys. I don't know those people. Hahaha. Actually we thought it would be really fun if every time we passed someone we gobbled at them. I couldn't bring myself to do it to strangers, but I did do it to Kara!


Here we are ready to go. We did start out together, but then Ryan took off and we all fell into our own rhythms. This was Ryan's first 5k without a stroller, so I think he appreciated the freedom. :)


It was a cold, hilly, stinky race. (Part of it goes through this swamp area that smelled really nasty.) But, it was awesome! I felt really good about my running time and was sure I had a personal record, but didn't find out my time until much later. 


We had such a blast! It was the perfect way to start out the day!  They had hot chocolate and pumpkin pie there, but it really didn't sound good that early in the morning, post running. But I know Deiderik enjoyed the pie! Everyone did really well. And again - go Caroline! She officially finished a 5k!


And drum roll please... I crushed my personal record! I am still a little in shock over this. 26:52.95. And 8:40 pace. No way!!! How did this happen?! Very, very proud of myself. 


Everyone did great! 



And then there's Ryan... holy cow! I guess that's what happens when he doesn't have a stroller to push. Dang! 


We started out with dinner at my parents. DELICIOUS! I was actually planning to not eat any pie that day (I had just finished another 8 week challenge and didn't really feel like it) but Kara made a Samoa pie and who can say no to that?! 

Following dinner at my parents, we headed to Ryan's Aunt's. We were told that this year there would hardly be anyone there. Turns out that wasn't true at all. Lots and lots of cousins. Good times! 


This little gal was not terribly interested in eating real food because part of the decor included m&m's. Well, she had a hearty meal of chocolate candy. 




Following dinner clean up, we headed back to the church and had played volleyball for a few hours. Nicia and Joe even stopped by briefly and played for a little bit. That was great to get to see her. 

Friday day was spent hanging out at my parents. Pierscen played with Issy and Deiderick and I made rainbow jello for dinner that night. 



Dinner at evening was hosted by Ryan's parents at the church for a few of the kids in their BYU ward that didn't have a place to go. I definitely should have made a bigger pan of jello because it was a huge hit!


To make things exciting we played a number of "Minute to Win It" games afterwards. It was very entertaining!

Trying to move the oreo from your forehead to your mouth without hands:



Dipping your nose in Vaseline, picking up a cotton ball without hands, then take it to the other end of the table and drop it off - without hands. 







This was also a birthday party for Kristopher. It was a great evening. 



Saturday I went shopping with my mom and little Asa at Ikea. I picked up lots of great gifts for Pierscen's birthday and even found a few things for myself. :) That place is awesome. After shopping, Asa really wanted to go to Mi Ranchito, so we reconvened for dinner. Yum! Yum!



Saturday night my parents hosted a birthday party for my kids. The real treat was that I ordered a couple of special cheesecakes from my friend Brittney in Casper, Wyoming. I asked if there was anyone there that was headed to Utah for Thanksgiving and would be willing to deliver them. There was, but as it turned out, Brittney ended up making the trip herself for a funeral. Sad occasion, but hand delivery. Talk about amazing! I ordered a full size carmel apple, a white chocolate triple berry, a mini samoa (which i hid) and Brittney even threw in a sample plate that had six different kinds. Those I saved for a Gilmore Girl binge watching episode with Kara that evening. 




We love these kids so much. They are crazy, but they are the best thing to happen to us. So grateful for my mom for hosting both families and having a great party for these sweet kiddos. 




And boy did these kids have a great birthday celebration!


Check out these super cute outfits my mom found my Devry - especially that one on the right. Could it be any more perfect for a little New Mexico gal?


I have had my eye on this picture for Pierscen for a long time. The scenery looks so much like Maple Grove, one of our favorite places. I think the little boy looks a lot like Pierscen too. My mom managed to find a good size print, ordered and framed it for P. Very special. Thank you so much Mom!


They both received fun new pjs from Oma and Opa. 


The cheesecake was absolutely divine and was a huge hit. Thank you Brittney!!!



After the festivities I slipped into the basement to watch the Gilmore Girls revival with Kara. We didn't make it very far because the episodes are 1.5 hours long. But we did have some good girl time and enjoyed even more cheesecake. :)

Sunday morning was Sabrina's homecoming talk. I just realized that I have zero pictures with Sabrina. How did that happen?! Sorry, Sabrina. She did a great job though. 


We headed home bright and early on Monday. When we got back into town we made a snap decision to go buy a real Christmas tree. Both of us have always wanted one, though neither of us knew that until this year. Haha. It was a great excuse to get out and stretch our legs after an 11 hour drive. And we found one good looking tree!





Pretty perfect, right?! We had a really fantastic trip home. Thanks for the memories and amazing food. We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment