Monday, March 13, 2017

Santa's Village in Santa Fe

On the second Saturday in December, we went on a grand adventure to Sante Fe via the train! We went with our friends Lauren, Belle, Channing and Savannah. Pierscen had never been on a train before, so we was beyond excited when we pulled up and he found out that's where we were doing. Our destination was Santa's Village, located right at the train depot. They had all sorts of games, crafts, and things to do for FREE. We love free. All we had to pay for was the train tickets.




The train ride was a resounding success. The kids found a spot to sit on the upper deck - if that's the right word. So we had a great view. 



And did I mention Ryan got to come along on this adventure?! Crazy, right? It was sad, but kind of funny, because leading up to this I had just recently sent Jen a bunch of pictures for the family calendar. I had the thought as I was trying to select the best ones, "Holy cow, I'm a single mother!" Ryan is in so few pictures with us - mostly because he is working on his Masters and has very little free time. It won't last forever though! I guess when Jen got the pictures she even sent Ryan a text saying that he needed to be in more pictures. Ha! Noted. We snapped this photo and sent it off to Jen. :)



The train ride lasted about an hour. The kids all did great. 



The first thing we did when we got there was head to the theater where they were showing some of the old classic Christmas movies. We watched Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (the claymation one.) I don't think I've ever actually seen it. Boy, those reindeer - especially his dad - were NOT nice. 




Following the movie we hit up the other activities, or rather, Ryan, Pierscen and friends did. I stood in line for the face painting with Devry, who fell asleep in the stroller. I despise lines and normally there's no way I would have done it - but the face painting was pretty incredible and it was FREE. And this is the first time P has really expressed any interest in getting his face painted, so I figured I might as well. 

P did the book walk - like a cake walk, only the library system up there was getting rid of books they no longer wanted/used. 


P actually won twice. It was awesome! This atlas would be absolutely perfect for this little dude, but it is in Spanish... lol. Sure, we can figure out the gist of things, but it would have been really great if it was in English. Oh well!


As always, Pierscen was super excited to see the cast from Frozen. These are actually the same girls that we ran into at the Balloon Museum early in the spring. 


This one below the kids got to control a train. You can imagine how excited Pierscen was!





After over an hour in line, we finally made it to the face painting station. Pierscen chose a string of Christmas lights. Quite unique, and very cool. Devry, who I thought wouldn't care at all, suddenly felt she needed to get her face painting. We sat down, but the moment they tried she panicked. Ha. That's about how I thought it would go. That's okay. 



There were only two trains heading back south, and we opted to catch the earlier one... along with hundreds of other people. It was not quite as easy a ride back as it was on the way up because it was standing room only. 


The kids had a fabulous time. I'm not sure if I would do it again... I mean, I say that, but we do all sorts of crazy things for our kids. P definitely loved the train ride and it was great to get to do some free activities. It was a good experience and I'm glad we did it. I am exceptionally glad Ryan was there. I definitely wouldn't go without him!

No comments:

Post a Comment