Saturday, September 3, 2016

The IRS Form What?!

When we got home from Utah, it was time to go order our appliance. We headed over to Home Depot to make our purchase. This was one Black Friday deal I was happy to make.  After making our final decisions on the type of fridge and stove we wanted, we headed to the cashier to make our purchase. 

I planned to use mostly cash for the transaction as making a large purchase on a credit card previous to closing on your house and can mean the whole deal goes sideways. 

As we stood at the register, the cashier was having a really hard time entering in the amount that we had. Yes, I was one of those people who pulled out the pennies so that the left over amount for the card would be an even amount. I think the .02 is really what did it in. She tried several times, but kept getting it the decimal off. I tried walking her though it, but the poor lady just couldn't get it. At last she got it entered in and we proceeded with the checkout. As I went to pay for the remainder with the card, a screen popped up on the cashiers computer prompting her to have us sign IRS form something - something. Alarmed, I pointed at it and asked what that was for. She seemed as confused as I was. She printed the receipt and handed it to me. 

Unfortunately, she had added an extra zero in there after all so that it looked like we had over paid by $20,000 some odd dollars. Thus, the IRS wanted a form signed showing that we just walked out of the store with that much cash. 

Oh guys. I could not stop laughing! Okay, not at the cashier. I kept it in check around her because I know she felt horrible. And I felt really horrible for her. It was a genuine mistake. But really? I turned to Ryan, and just chuckled. "Nothing else has gone smoothly. Why would this?" I didn't mean it in a calloused or sarcastic way. It was genuinely hilarious! 

Not so much for the store. That's going to be an accounting nightmare. We were there for probably another 45 minutes as they tried to figure out how to fix it. They sent us from one end of the store to the other, bouncing back and forth between registers, trying to figure out if they could cancel the order, return the order, void the order, etc. The did end up voiding it, sort of. The guy that helped us back in appliances disappeared to recreated our order. We didn't have to pay a second time, but we kept both receipts to show what had happened. That poor cashier! I really hope that she wasn't reprimanded or anything for this. It was a mistake, and I know she already felt really bad about it. I assume everything resolved because we did get our appliances and the IRS has yet to contact us. Hahaha. Just another tally to the odd adventures of home buying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment