Sunday, September 18, 2016

July 2016 - Happy Birthday America

Of all the things that we couldn't bring with us, the item I was most sad to learn we left behind was our push reel lawn mower. I know, weird right? But I found it at a yard sale for $5 and it worked great! But we didn't have room to bring it and we didn't know if we would even have a lawn to mow, so I guess it made sense. That being said, it was still a bummer to have to buy a new one... but on the plus side, that means we have grass to mow! The grass still needed to fill in in places, but Pierscen was more than happy to try it out. :)



Another visit to the gardens - but this time I included some pictures in the vineyards and orchards. It really is a gorgeous place. 


I'm blowing up the picture below extra big so you can see the roadrunner Pierscen was following. It is about to jump down from the second tall post to the right behind P's head. 




I discovered our giant zucchini plant was producing giant zucchini's. And tons of them. I think in the first week I gave away at least six only slightly smaller than this. 



The 4th of July was a lot of fun. Had I been in Utah, I would have been running the freedom run with family. But since I wasn't, I thought it would be fun to continue the tradition of running. I signed up for the 4 on the 4th race. 4 miles is just shy of a mile longer than a 5k, so this would be my longest run to date. I tend to cap out at a 5k, but I've been working on it. Ryan came along with the kids to cheer me on. It was great to have them there!






Do you love Devry's skirt placement preference? Love that little goof. 


I felt really good about my run and it was so great to have my family there to cheer me on. When I had less than a mile left, I ran into P, D, and Ryan on the trail. Pierscen ran with me for a while, cheering me on. My goal, sad as it may be, is to average under a 12 min mile. I know I am capable of running that without killing myself, so I feel like I don't have an excuse to go slower. My unspoken hope was to be closer to 11.5 or less, but hey - less than 12 is grand. 





And there's my time. Can you see that? I averaged 10:38/mile. I am amazing!!! Hahaha, I know any runner out there would laugh at this, but you know what, this is incredible for me. The longest I've run and a pace way better than I expected. It was a great morning!


The rest of the morning and early afternoon was pretty lazy. I was working on the computer while P watched something on Netflix. Dev kept climbing over him and I thought it was hilarious that he didn't even budge or pay attention. 


A little after 3pm we headed to the mall to catch the buses to the Balloon Park for some free festivities. The ride was supposed to cost a few dollars, but the machine was broken, so we got to ride for free too. P thought riding the bus was super exciting. 


There were lots of games, food, face painting, live music, and other activities. P loved playing on the bounce house toys. He decided afterward that he wanted his face painted (something he has always adamantly refused before) but the line was insanely long, so we opted to try again next year. 



We met up with some friends and enjoyed some great music, dancing, and fun. 



We would have stayed for big name band and the fireworks, but our kids were already crashing (especially Dev) and we still had 3 hours to kill before any of that started. So we opted to head home and do a few small fireworks, then get the kids to bed before they knew any better. Haha. Are we bad parents? They have the rest of their lives to stay up late watching the fireworks. I think it was just fine. 




Besides, someone wasn't a big fan anyway....


Pierscen and Ryan had a great time with the rest of the fireworks once I put Dev to bed. (She was more than happy to say goodnight.) P went to bed around 8, then Ry and I went outside to play volleyball for a bit. My finger was finally feeling better and I was ready to try again. 

When we lost our light, we went back inside and watched one of my very favorite movies, The Three Amigos. This is a family classic on my side. Ry knows how much I love it, but I learned earlier that day, that after some Three Amigo quoting and jokes back and forth with my family, that Ryan had never actually seen it. I was shocked! How have we been married for just shy of 10 years and I didn't know this?! I will admit that I was a tiny bit nervous for him to watch it. What if he thought it was stupid? What if he thought I was a crazy obsessed loon? Well, the good news is that he really liked it. He laughed out loud many times which brought me inexplicable joy. I love that show! Sure, kind of a goofy choice considering it's about three movie starts helping liberate a tiny village in Mexico, but hey! It was a really great day! So grateful to live in America and enjoy the many blessings that we have. Thank you for all those who have, or are currently serving our country. We love you!


Here's the aftermath of volleyball playing. Pretty pathetic. But hey! No jammed fingers. I'll call that a win!



No comments:

Post a Comment