Wednesday, September 28, 2016

The Grand Adventure of School

Starting this post out with something completely unrelated to the rest of it, but here's another updated picture of our yard. Pretty incredible, right?


The day before Pierscen started school, I told him that we could go somewhere fun - so naturally he opted for the Aquarium and Gardens. Below are a cool beetle we found and a picture of the outside of the giant pumpkin. It's huge. 


Back to the butterfly pavilion - where Devry's squealed every time she saw one. 



Pierscen's teachers left him with some homework during their home visit. This is a poster he needed to fill out telling about somewhere he went this summer. I helped him with spelling, but he did everything else. He seems so grown up!




The day of school arrived. We had some time in the morning, so we did our chores and I made P a first day of school sign for pictures. 


We headed out front and had a great photo shoot. Can you tell he was a little excited?!



Devry did not want to be left out. She was just as excited as he was and as soon as we went back inside, we took a turn wearing his backpack, strutting around and showing off. 


For the first drop off, the parents signed in the kids, then walked them around to the backyard after hanging their backpack on the fence. Each day following this we walk them straight into the school, they hang their backpack on their peg, then head to the backyard with a teacher. But for the first 20-30 minutes they allowed parents and siblings to hang out and play while one of the teachers took first day pictures with each family. Before we left the house, Pierscen had collected a pretty big jar of squash bugs which he was determined to take with him. I let him show them to some kids during the first few minutes and then I took them home with me. Here is Pierscen with some new friends checking out his bugs. Pretty creative. Show a boy a bug and they are instant friends! Haha


Pierscen, Devry and I took our first day of school picture and that was that. They asked Pierscen if he was ready to say goodbye and he nodded, but he didn't say anything and then mostly ignored me as I tried to say goodbye. It wasn't his "shut down" refusal to say goodbye like he does when we have to leave Utah. It was a "get out of here already, mom" sort of silence. He was having a great time playing and really did not care if I left. That's the best way for it to be, I think. 



On the way out they told the parents to pick up a goody bag. On the outside was the following poem. I was absolutely okay with this whole thing until I read that. Punks!


For me the last part resonated the most. "I love you for giving me this wonderful day." I know preschool isn't the most important thing in the world, but I absolutely believe that this is where he needs to be and that he is really going to grow and have some incredible experiences here. 

Devry was super excited to go pick him up. When we pulled up, I said, "Devry, should we go get Pierscen?"

She yelled, "Piersey!" I recorded this as we were about to go pick him up. 


Pierscen said he his first day was fun, though he admitted as we were getting in the car that there were parts that were "REALLY boring." I asked him to expound on that and it came down to the fact that they spent a lot of time going over rules and that they didn't get to play with much of the stuff that first day. And he was greatly disappointed that they didn't get to play in the volcano yet. Haha. Well, I guess we did kind of set him up for disappointment telling him how much fun it was going to be. We didn't tell him that it's not all fun and games. Hahaha. Since then, he has had an incredible time. He comes home so happy and so excited. He loves doing his homework and telling us about what he learns. I'm telling you, this school is magic. 

And I have a child in school! I do miss him. It's strange being without him. But it is good to be with Devry and have some one on one time with him. Mostly I'm just thrilled that he gets this experience. He is going to thrive here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment