Monday, October 28, 2013

The Wheels on the Bus (Utah Trip Part 1)

 Let me just start off by saying the first part is a little long - but read it! The rest will be mostly pictures. :)

My little sister Kara got hitched in August. Trying to figure out how to get there turned out to be quite an adventure. Ryan didn't have enough time off to take a whole week off of work and I needed to be out there in advance to help out. (Plus there was a TON of other things going on that week.) As it turned out, Nicia was going to be heading to Utah from visiting her in-laws in Colorado the same weekend that I was going to head out. So I had two options: fly (easiest and most expensive) or meet up with Nicia in Cheyenne and drive out with her. We opted for that option because - hello - why wouldn't we want to take advantage of that much time together considering we are now separated by several states?! Well, things were looking good until I realized that Ryan, who I had assumed would drive me to Cheyenne that Saturday, was going to be at scout camp. Somewhere in my brain I knew this, but for some reason I thought he would be done in time. I didn't realize that camp was some 3+ hours away in the opposite direction. So Nicia, being the amazing friend she is, jumped online and started looking at bus options. She found one called Arrow/Black Hills Stage Lines that would take me from Casper to Cheyenne on a Friday. Nicia would then pick me up, take me back to her in-laws in Ft. Collins, and then we would drive to Utah the next day. 

Let me be clear. Taking the bus has NEVER been on my bucket list. I know it's judgmental, but there tends to be a certain type of people that take the bus... and it's not young naive girls with a little baby in tow. I was scared. Nicia tried to convince me that everything would be just fine by referring to the picture on the webpage. We had a good laugh over it, but truth be told - this is NOT what the bus looks like and these are NOT the people that ride it. 


That being said, we decided it was still the best (cheapest) option. Since P is under 2, I didn't have to buy him a ticket unless I was taking his car seat and he was going to use a chair. Technically I could have just put his car seat under the bus and paid $15 to do so, which is cheaper than buying him a seat, but he does so much better in his seat. He knows it's traveling time and he does a good job. I had no desire to try and wrestle him on my lap for 2.5+ hours. So I bought the extra ticket.

I asked my friend is she could drop me off at the bus depot since Ry was still at camp. We made it with plenty of time, especially considering the bus was 40 minutes late. While we waited, we chatted with a nice Black lady who was headed to Denver. When the bus arrived, she dashed out to be one of the first people on the bus to try and get a double seat so she could sleep. She said she would come back and help me afterward. I honestly didn't know what to expect. I had managed to convince myself that it would be fine because there would be lots of room and it's not that long of a ride. Not once did it occur to me that Casper was not the originating bus station (duh). The bus was PACKED! The driver came out and ordered people and luggage around. He was frustrated, late, and cranky. I don't blame him. When I handed him my two tickets, he asked me why I had bought a ticket for P. Once I explained he basically rolled his eyes and said he wouldn't have done it. At that point, there wasn't even a place on the bus that had two seats together, so it looked like P would be on my lap after all. 

I don't handle situations like this well. Here I was in a new and stressful place, already feeling anxious about the money I had spent on P's ticket, and now learning that it might have been a waste because I would have to hold him on my lap anyway. What good does buying a ticket do you if you aren't guaranteed a spot?! I was on the verge of melt down (trying very hard not to burst into a pool of tears) when a man came running off the bus and told me that he had asked some people to move so that I had a place to sit next to my boy. 

Words can't express my gratitude for that stranger. I will forever be grateful for his kindness. They helped me onto the super crammed bus and we finally took off. 

I just have to say, my initial thoughts on what the people on the bus were going to be like were correct. Judgmental or not - it was true. In the entire bus, P and I were two of maybe 5 White people. The majority were Black and a handful were Hispanic. That part was no big deal. I don't care about race. But there were some pretty shady looking characters. Thankfully on a trip like this, there isn't a whole lot of worry about, but it was still interesting non the less. We stopped in a small town about half-way to Cheyenne for a manditory break to allow people to grab some food and smoke. I feel confident in saying that over 90% of the people got off to smoke. Coming back on the bus, they all smelled like smoke, Arby's, and... okay... if there are any of my old hospital pals reading this, you will know what I am talking about. The whole bus smelled like Fast Track. You know that smell that goes beyond BO, beyond a lack of shower and general hygiene? I asked Ryan what that was once. It is a sickeningly pungent smell that is hard for anyone to handle. In many cases, Ryan explained, it is actually the smell of yeast growing in fat folds and areas that haven't been cleaned. (Insert puking sounds here.) 

Anyway, it was nasty. Toward the end of the trip a guy across the aisle started talking to me. He was due to have his first kid in a few months. He was super nice and it was good to have someone to talk to. Pierscen traveled fairly well. Kind of depends on how to you look at it. He didn't cry. I was prepared for a melt down when he got tired, but he was fine. The weird thing is that he thought it would be a grand idea to YELL... a LOT. He wasn't angry. He just wanted to hear his voice. I tried covering his mouth and he just thought it was funny. I tried giving him his pacifier. He would pull it out to yell and then plop it back in his mouth. 

Any parent can tell you that traveling with kids is hard enough. You are always worried about the people that are going to hate you. But then add in the fact that some of those people had already been on that bus for 24+ hours (I canNOT even imagine) and they were trying to sleep. Ah!!!


Overall it wasn't horrible. Because the bus driver was so far behind, he was really pushing things and we actually made really good time. That trip actually seemed faster than when we drove in our own car. We had to wait for a little while for Nicia to get there (proof that the bus went way faster than either of us imagined) but it was good cause it gave P some time to run around and get some circulation back in his legs. 

The trip to Ft. Collins isn't very long - only about 45 minutes from Cheyenne. Nicia's in-law's have a beautiful home and it was super nice of them to let us stay there. The first night anywhere new is always a little rough. P usually doesn't sleep very well and neither do I, but it's alright. We had a great time. It's a little pathetic how quickly Nicia and I revert to being our teenage selves when we are together - but I love it. It was awesome. And her in-laws were great to put up with us. 

We hoped to be out the door by 5 am the next morning and the truth is - Nicia and I were ready! But getting the kids ready and the car loaded took a lot longer. To start things out, Joe sat in the back with the kids and Nicia and I sat up front. 

We stopped in Laramie for gas. At least I think that's where this was... these fun signs and buildings were by the gas station.  





At some point I traded places with Joe so he could spend some time with Nicia. This amazing contraption is something Nicia came up with to keep Logan's head up when he fell asleep in the car. I think it's genius!


Sadly it wasn't until after the trip that we realized we didn't have a single picture of us together. Bummer.

We made great time. In fact, we even made it in time for me to attend Kara's bridal shower at my parent's next door neighbor's. So I dropped off my luggage and headed on over. It was definitely a surprise to my mom and Kara that we had made it on time. (I had told them not to count on it.) Kara jumped up from unwrapping presents and ran over and threw her arms around me and we both teared up. 

Following the bridal shower, Kara insisted we go shopping. I hate shopping. But Kara was determined to make me get some decent clothes. Gotta love little sisters looking out for you. I have no fashion sense though, so I guess it's good. (No, honestly, I would love to have a nicer more updated wardrobe, but that's something that isn't a high priority when kids and house payments are involved.)

After shopping, P and I headed over to Ryan's aunt's house for a big family BBQ. I was super tired, but it was fun to see everyone. All the cousins were there. Even Jodi and her family had come out for a big trip with the Harmons to Bear Lake. I had hoped to be able to go, but it didn't work out. So it was good that I was at least able to see them for a little bit.


After the BBQ, P and I went to see Necia's new house in north Orem. It is beautiful! Definitely a great upgrade from their last house. Everyone has their own room, beautiful living spaces, upgrades, nice yard, incredible view of Timpanogos, and a theater room! I am really happy for them. Nice neighborhood, beautiful home, and still close to family. 

That night Jodi, Jess, and Jen were all going out for dessert, but I couldn't even string together a sentence I was so exhausted, so I headed to the Harmon's for the night. (The sleeping arrangements were confusing. I did a lot of back and forth between houses. I would have stayed at my parents that night but since the Harmon's were headed to Bear Lake I was trying to balance time.)

Sunday morning I went to church with my parents, but took a few cute pictures with Jodi's kids and Oma before we left.


By the way... the tie P is wearing here was made by Nicia. She gave us several ties that Logan had outgrown. They are awesome! Thanks Nicia!


Since Jess and I weren't going to be able to go to Bear Lake, the Harmon's still wanted to do a camping trip. So Sunday afternoon we headed up American Fork canyon up by Tibble Fork. It was insanely busy up there, but we found a camping place a little higher up. We just had to leave the four wheelers outside the campground. We didn't realize until later that P never got his four wheeler ride, but I am positive there will be many trips in the future. :)

We had so much fun up there! It was gorgeous, the weather was perfect, and the kids loved it!


I nearly stepped on a snake and I told Zack were to find it. Without any hesitation he ran and grabbed it. Jodi was denying any relation to him at that point. It was pretty funny.




He let the snake go and we actually spotted a couple more in this area. I'm not sure if P remembered what we were looking for or not, but he dutifully searched for quite a while.




I'm sure you are used to it by now... but I love taking pictures with P. He loves it when he can see himself, so his facial expressions are always fun.









After dinner we put on a little camp fire show. The grand kids all did a skit that no one really understood, but was funny none the less. Traci was the only one that really knew what was happening. Then it turned into lots of running around.



Oma and Opa did their skit, Jodi and Madi did a song, I did a song, Jess did a song, Matt did a skit, and I think that was about it. It was fun.



And best of all we got a great picture of Oma and Opa with all the grandkids.


I opted not to camp out. I think the only way P might survive is if he had his pack n play - which he hates. Of course they offered to let P stay in their camper, but Jen's girls were going to be in there and I don't think P would have slept knowing that his friends were right there... 

Basically I am a chicken. I just didn't want to face that on my own. So I didn't. We headed back to the Harmon's and slept wonderfully. :)

Monday morning I asked my mom to watch P while I went to get my hair cut. I told her I was going to get it trimmed, but I had every intention of chopping it off. It was time. I just didn't tell anyone (including Ryan) because I like the surprise. I don't have to worry about Ryan disapproving because he actually likes my hair short. 

I have done this a few times and I know I am going to love it each time I go in... but it is still scary. 


At least it was long enough to donate. I wasn't sure if it would be with the layers, but they took it. I love that for two reasons - one, it's a great thing to do, and two, it means a free hair cut!


Sporting the new do! The whole process took much longer than I had hoped. I ran back to my parent's and shocked my mom. :) Then I jumped in the car (I was using the Harmon's car by the way) and headed to Spanish Fork to Rayola's retirement party. She had no idea that I was coming. Jeanette had sent me a text a few weeks prior asking if I could come. She didn't think there was going to be any real chance, but since I was already going to be here, it turned out to be perfect timing!


She was totally surprised and very happy to see us. It was great! We sure love our Rayola! It was awesome to see Jeanette and a few of my old coworkers too. We ate some lunch and hung around for a while until everyone needed to head separate directions.




As I was driving to this party, however, I realized that I actually knew the neighborhood and that my BFF from childhood, Lisa, lived in the area. She had just recently moved back from Texas. I sent her a text asking if she was around and sure enough, we were able to stop by and hang out for a bit. That was a totally awesome bonus to our trip. So glad we were able to see her and her cute kids!


These two were totally hilarious driving. P had no idea how to do it, even though he was in the driver's seat. Jacob reached over and pressed the gas and did the steering. P loved it!!!



We made it back in time for P to take a short nap, and then it was time for the Harmon's annual summer birthday swimming party at a neighbor of Ryan's aunt's. P was really excited about it!








He did especially well with Opa. During the swimming course that Pierscen took earlier in the summer, I never got him to actually jump off the wall. He did it with Opa in less than 2 seconds!







I think P would have stayed there forever, but he started chattering pretty good and I needed to go. (This was one of the busiest days there!) Oma and Opa volunteered to keep P for me while I went to dinner with my dance pals.


I love the adoring smile he is giving Oma in the picture below. So cute!


The dancer dinner didn't have as great of a turn out as last time, but it was still wonderful to be with my friends. I also spotted one of my old coworkers, Jared, outside with his wife. That was really fun to see him too since he was moving out of state in just a few days to go to school.


I feel so blessed to have such incredible friends and family. The first few days of being in Utah were total chaos... and the other half wasn't any better for sanity... but it was great!

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I totally know what you mean about the smell of fast track. Too funny. And I love your haircut! I was briefly thinking about chopping my hair this summer, but I didn't have the guts to do it...maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete