Saturday, September 8, 2012

Happy Birthday To ME!

August 10th was my birthday. What's today? September 8th? Ha! See I'm NOT a month behind...

Anyway... We started the morning off nice and early. Pierscen always wakes up between 6 - 6:30, so this wasn't new, but you know, I was kind of hoping Ryan would just take him and entertain him for an hour or so and let me sleep. That would be an awesome birthday present. (To be fair, he does this on a fairly regular basis. He is wonderful that way.) However, instead of letting me sleep, Ryan insisted on me getting up and getting dressed. 

We headed out the door and drove to IHOP. Hurray! I had a sneaking suspicion we might do this. He knows I love breakfast food and have a long love affair with IHOP in particular. (Pretty much every birthday from what would you say Nicia, 14 on up (?) we would kidnap each other and take them to breakfast at IHOP.) We had recently received some coupons of IHOP in the mail, so that was extra incentive. Breakfast was delicious. I decided not to go with the Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity, which is my usual. It was a mistake. Not a big one, cause the food was still good, but it just wasn't... well... Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity!

After breakfast, I dropped Ryan off at work and headed home. I wasn't really sure what I was going to do all day. I'll admit it. I was feeling sorry for myself. Husband at work. No family. None of my Utah friends. The playgroup was getting together again at Alcova and I kept telling myself it was too far to go. But what was I thinking? Stay home and do nothing? Or drive 40 minutes to a beautiful lake and hang out with people I am getting to know? Hmm...

What better way to spend your birthday than being a beach bum with your favorite little champ? I can't think of one. :)

 



He remembered the sand from our previous beach trips and he headed straight for it. Doesn't take much to keep him entertained.







I debated on on whether to even put him in his swimming suit, but hey, if nothing else, it makes for cute pictures. He is such a stud!

When Ryan got off work, we wanted to go grab dinner, but Pierscen was really tired and we didn't want him to go into melt down in a restaurant. So we headed back to the apartment. As soon as we got there we realized that P had fallen asleep. So, we pulled out again and headed over to Guadalajara. Had we been in Utah, we would go to Mi Ranchito, but seeing as that wasn't a real option, Guadalajara seemed like a good substitute. We figured if P woke up any time during our outing he would at least be rested long enough for us to eat. He probably would have lasted quite a while, but while we were waiting to be seated, a group of workers came out and sang happy birthday to another customer. Pierscen woke up scowling. I would have too. 

We ordered the sampler appetizer. As you can see, it's huge. And then Ryan also ordered a shredded beef taco. Our favorite back at Mi Ranchito is #6: 2 beef tacos. So simple. So amazing. So we at least had to try theirs. 


No good. Okay, okay. That's not really fair. It wasn't NOT good. It just wasn't Mi Ranchito. It was good in it's own way. But I think that when you go somewhere new and you are comparing it to something else, it's better to just try something totally different. It's like expecting your favorite book turned movie to be just as great as the book. It never is. So just get something different. :)

Anyway, the sampler platter was really good. Some of it was way too spicy for me, but as a whole, it was really good. And there was more than either of us could eat. It was definitely a good experience and I am sure we will go back again. 

The 10th is apparently a great birthday as the man at the table next to us was also sung to. I didn't want the singing, but hoped that maybe there was a free dessert perk. Sure enough there was. I was able to get away with no singing or sombrero, and still got free ice cream to share. Excellent!

It was a great birthday. I am glad that I went to Alcova and spending time with Ryan and P was wonderful. Sure, it was hard to be away from family and friends back home, but it was still good. I am very thankful to my Heavenly Father for the incredible 26 years I have had so far and look forward to many, many wonderful years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment