Sunday, January 15, 2017

Early Birthday Bash

Way back in August I told my friend I would keep her kids for a weekend in November. The first day of this adventure Ryan would be out of town, but hey- three extra kids on my own, no big deal. Let's up the stakes and throw in an early friend birthday party for Pierscen. Let's invite a ton of people so that IF everyone shows, including siblings, there could be twenty kids in my house. Because you know, the idea of having an early party was to have good weather, but the weather turned and said it was supposed to be cold and rainy. Yay! 

Anyway, my sanity can be discussed later...

I picked up Pierscen from school, we picked up the other three, B, C, and S, then headed home. 



We had pizza and salad for dinner. So far so good. 


For bed I decided to move Pierscen into my room with me and keep the three siblings together in Pierscen's room. We all did prayer and scriptures together, then I took Pierscen and Devry to their beds. From here... well, it's good that it's been a few months to numb the pain of that night. It was a nightmare. Children out of bed a million times, one suffering from insomnia, kids waking up kids... Very little sleep. It was ugly. But we survived! 


I stayed up late finishing games for his party the next day. I stayed up way too late, but it was fun. We decided to continue the pirate theme and capitalize on his Halloween costume. I came up with three games to rotate through- Cannonball Alley where we would throw "Cannonball" at pirate ships, Bejewel the Jolly, and Spyglass Cove. 


At the end of the games I made a map which I stayed up til midnight burning to look cool. I tore it into pieces to make a scavenger hunt that would lead to the treasure... Pirate pinata!




His cake looked horrible. I have zero skills in this regard. I found some Jake figurines and that would have to suffice. I'm still embarrassed by this, but oh well. It tasted good and Pierscen was happy with it. 



I failed to get a picture of everyone that came, but it was perfect. Ryan made it home in time to help out, the extra kids were really helpful getting things ready and we had a really manageable number show up. AND the weather end up being nice! So we were able to go outside for Cannonball Alley. Yay! 

Spyglass Cove: making eye patches and Spyglasses. 


Bejewel the Jolly: get the jewels in the eyes. Hehe



Cannonball Alley. These kids are good shots!








Beginning of the scavenger hunt. This was really fun. 


This pirate was impossible to break! We should have used a "real" bat but that is scary with little kids. 






Cake and ice cream time! 







Presents!







Pierscen had an amazing time. We are so grateful for wonderful friends. The games turned out perfectly and everyone had a great time. 



The second night with the extra kids was better and worse. In addition to B not sleeping, she ended up throwing up, so I was up in the middle of night scrubbing the toilet, etc.With my friend's permission, I left her home with Ryan the next day while I took the other kids to church on my own. All things considered, I think I did pretty awesome on my own with four kids under six. 

That night everyone actually went to bed perfectly willingly, no issues. My friend came to pick them up around 10:30-11pm. Yes, it was really hard, but I am glad I was able to help out and yes, I would even do it again. Maybe not throw in a party too, but you know. ;) Actually, the party was the easiest part! 

We are grateful for good friends who were willing to come make Pierscen's birthday special. 

No comments:

Post a Comment