Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Two More Months... Just Two More Months

I know I've said it before, but MAN! Having a mobile baby at church that is too young for nursery is hard! A few weeks ago, the Primary President offered to have her hubby sit with my Sunbeam class during sharing/singing time so that I could go to Sunday School with Ryan. It was a really nice offer, and an even nicer idea. However, the execution hasn't really worked. To date, I think Ryan and I have managed to make it to about 10 minutes of class. It's just too much to ask having just come from 1 hr 15 min of sitting in Sacrament meeting to ask P to sit still and be quite for another 45 minutes. I would say most people are understanding about the noise and the movement, but Ryan has had people "hush" P before in class. Um, we are trying, but he is 16 months old! Not exactly great with the concept of controlling his volume.


Anyway, a few weeks ago we let P crawl into one of this fishbowl foyers and closed the door. It was probably the best spent second hour we have had in a while. Hahaha. Pierscen loved it and we couldn't stop laughing. The few people that came by thought it was hilarious. He was contained - yet he had his freedom. And he wasn't bothering anyone!


Just two more months to go. It's been rough. Ryan usually has things for Young Men's that he needs to do or people to talk to during that second hour, so next time I may just say, "Have fun with P!" and go to class myself. Ryan would be fine with this.


P joins me for my Sunbeam class for the last hour. This is a blessing and a curse. He loves being with those older kids. And they love him too - which means major distraction. That isn't exactly hard considering they are 3-year-olds and their attention span isn't very long anyway. But it does make it difficult when they are trying to "help" him, or follow him around, or fight him for chairs. This is a weekly issue. I keep telling my kids they have to stay sitting or P will steal their chairs. Two of the kids don't mind so much, and they will wait for me to pull P off, but I have one kid who gets very territorial and will hit P or shove him or pull him down if I don't get there right away. A couple weeks ago this child kicked P in the face because he was trying to stand up using this child's chair. (Big intake of breath.)


It's tough to know what to do. Ryan has asked me to take him for class time because he is such a distraction in his class. Well, he's not any less distracting in mine, but at least with teaching the young men he has a far greater chance of having the spirit and really teaching these boys than I do. Don't get me wrong - the Sunbeam lessons are great. But "I am Thankful for Fish" is probably not as vital on the spiritual scale as something Ryan might be able to teach his boys.


I know P is going to love nursery. He has played in there a few times before for various activities during the week. At least so far he is happy with anyone and loves other kids. Now watch - the first week he is allowed to go and he will suddenly panic. I sure hope not!


I think I actually may be moved classes soon. At least on Sunday the Primary President said something to that extent. I feel bad about it. I feel like maybe I have failed or something. I mean, they were very clear about their reasons for putting me with that Sunbeam class and now that they are moving me, I just feel like maybe I have done something wrong. I won't lie - it has been a hard calling. I love Sunbeams. I really do. But this has been a challenge. Maybe I just need to ask someone in the presidency to watch Pierscen so we don't have these weekly fights over chairs and such. But even then... this last week one of my kids slapped me in the face once, and tried a second time but I stopped it... I want to help these kids. I want to be their friend. But I am only a teacher and there is only so much I can do.


So yes, the count down is on. I love that little monkey so much, but I think it will be best for everyone when he can finally go play with the other kids his age. :)

1 comment:

  1. Daniel and I teach the 10 year olds together with the twins. It's impossible to get the older kids to listen, I can't imagine trying to get 3 year olds to behave! Good luck with your last 2 months -- 6 more months for us!

    ReplyDelete