Monday, May 20, 2013

A Simple Birthday Wish

Ryan's birthday was a month ago. He only wanted one thing for his birthday. Okay, well, two. First and foremost, a fishing license. Secondly, the strawberry cake his mom always makes for him. 

I have never made the cake before, but it seemed simple enough. The only difficulty was finding the Danish Dessert it called for. The cake is pretty much a strawberry short cake. White cake, cream cheese and Dream Whip "frosting" with fresh strawberries in strawberry or raspberry Danish Dessert (like the filling stuff for regular strawberry shortcake.) I checked several stores and couldn't find the stuff. I finally located a spot on the shelf for it at Albertson's, but they wouldn't be getting any in for a while. My mother-in-law told me you can actually make it from Kool-Aid if you don't have the real stuff, but I couldn't find any strawberry or raspberry Kool-Aid either! On a whim, I called the other Albertson's in town to see if they had any Danish Dessert. They had two boxes left, one of each flavor. They pulled it off the shelf and held it for me - thank goodness - with only a few hours left before birthday dinner. 

I invited the missionaries over on his actual birthday. I didn't mean to at first, but Ryan was cool with it. Besides, we needed someone to help eat the cake. And we weren't doing a party or anything, so the missionaries were perfect. :) I made raspberry grilled chicken (not as flavorful as I had hoped, though not bad) potatoes, salad, and of course, the beautiful cake. There were no cut fingers this time, though the missionaries did inform us that that encounter has become their most "unusual dinner experience" as a companionship. Hahaha. Excellent!

Anyway, dinner was good, the company was good, and the cake turned out great, though admittedly, I think it was better the second day. There was still a ton of it left, so I took some to the neighbors on both sides of us. 

Sometime during the birthday week we finally made it to Sportsman's warehouse where Ryan got his fishing license. The real reason he waited for his birthday to get one is because he is an official resident now. Can you believe it's already been a year since he moved out here? That means the price of the license is cut down dramatically!

Well, the following weekend we hit the water. There are a lot of pictures coming up, but don't worry, there isn't much dialogue to go along with them. So enjoy!


Ryan's first catch of the year: A sucker fish! Hahaha. He wasn't sure what kind of omen that was, but I say catching anything his first time out was a good thing. Being skunked your first time would be far worse in my opinion.




P and I wandered around and he chased down lots of little bugs. Or at least tried too.


Eventually he got bored, so Ryan taught him how to throw rocks in the river. As a child, Ryan could spend hours doing this (and still could). I think P is the same way. He loved it!





The picture above is Pierscen's rock bed. That's a lot of rocks!

The following day we went fishing with our neighbors Melody, David, and Lyric. It was really muddy down by the river, but the kids absolutely loved it. Again... prepare for picture overload. 




Pierscen and Lyric spent some good time throwing rocks in the river here too. P liked it lots more than Lyric did, but she was a good sport about it.


David's first catch was a nice rainbow. Ryan was a little jealous (probably a lot actually) because just before this Ryan had caught yet another sucker. (I think by the time we were done he had caught three suckers, no trout. Haha)



The boys had a good time fishing, despite the couple that came by with their lab and threw it's toy in the river right where they were fishing, and despite the two teenage boys that came by throwing really big rocks in the same area. Lyric and Pierscen kept Melody and I busy, but it was a lot of fun.














I love this goofy boy!!!





Cute little muddy Lyric. She was definitely much more dirty than Pierscen by the end, but at the same time, Pierscen dumped half a can of Dr. Pepper down his front trying to get a drink from a can Dodger had knocked over. I took off his onesie and replaced it with his jacket. Glad I had that!



Here is Ryan with his prized sucker fish, mimicking the beautiful thing. Haha. Truth is, it was a really big fish. Just too bad it wasn't a trout.




It was such a gorgeous sunset. I couldn't stop taking pictures. I felt like it was getting prettier and prettier by the second.





We had a fantastic time. I know Ryan was bummed that he didn't catch any trout this trip, but don't you fret, he went fishing several times while I was in Utah with P (more on that to come) and he caught some whoppers! So all is well in the fishing world.

I am grateful Ryan is simple and easy to please. (I mean really, cake and a fishing license? Yeah, I can do that.) He is such an amazing man. I am grateful beyond words that he was born into this world. He is my everything. I love him more than I can say. He is the best husband and father a girl could hope for. Happy birthday Ryan!

No comments:

Post a Comment