Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Let The Games Begin

Thursday night Ryan and I were working with P to try and get him to walk between us. I know he can do it. He just lacks the courage. So we sat a few feet apart and tried to get him to go back and forth. To our surprise, he was more than willing to give it go. In fact, he was so excited that he kept trying to run to the other parent, and subsequently kept falling forward into our arms. Either than, or he would lean way back on the other person's hand. Just no effort on his part to actually get his balance. We tried for several minutes, and in the ten passes or so that he made, I think he took about two real steps on his own, upright, and balanced. 

Baby steps. Literally. :)

Friday P took a few more timid steps on his own throughout the day. Ryan left for some Young Men/Scout training in Story, Wyoming right after work. Shortly after he left, I looked over at Pierscen who had just crawled up from the lower entrance level. He stood up, and just started walking. He took about 8-10 perfect little steps over to the next set of stairs. I had to hold my breath so I didn't squeal out right then and there and startled him. It was amazing! One or two steps earlier in the day, and suddenly he was walking like a pro!

So I had proof he could do it. He just prefers to do it when we aren't looking. That, and crawling is still WAY faster and lots less wobbly. 

So I made it my goal to capture it on video. Unfortunately for me, P was having none of that. Every time I tried, he just flat out refused. So I came up with this great idea: select the camera mode where he can see himself. He LOVES seeing himself on the phone, so I thought this would be good incentive to get him to walk. 

The results:


I seriously couldn't stop laughing. Stubborn little guy. And he crawls so dang fast!

I did manage to get his two second clip:


But he was moving too quick for me to get much. 

Saturday evening when Ryan got home, Ryan was heading to the hall for something when he spotted Pierscen walking down the hall on his own. P made eye contact with him, dropped to the floor laughing, and took off at warp speed to the corner where he laid down, put his hands to his side, and started wiggling in excitement. Little stinker. 

Sunday night we kept working with him before bedtime, only this time he did really well! We used the phone as motivation again. We turned it on, hit record, and let him walk to himself. Worked like a charm! 


So far he doesn't do a lot of walking around the house. I think he prefers to walk in his bedroom where he knows he has nice soft carpet to pad his falls. I was super proud of him last night. Ryan and I sat really far apart to get him to walk further. He wiped out a lot, but he kept getting right back up. Oh, which reminds me, the previous night, he took a nose dive to the floor and just laid there for a moment. We were half expecting him to cry, (I know I would have) but he just sat there. So I started chanting, "Go Pierscen! Go Pierscen! Go! Go! Go Pierscen." He popped up onto his hands and knees and started shaking his little booty and crawled off a ways until he had more room to dance. So stinking cute!

I am super proud of him. He will have it down in no time. I sure love the little "gorilla" walk with the hands in the air for balance. Please pardon my squeals of delight in these videos. I am one happy momma. Yes, I know it only means more trouble, but I am really happy for him. It is so exciting to see them grow and develop.

Go Pierscen! Go Pierscen! Go! Go! Go Pierscen!

1 comment:

  1. Such a fun part of parenting! WAY better than potty training! ;)

    ReplyDelete