Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Our "First" Christmas Part 2

 Christmas morning was wonderful. Pierscen woke up bright and early (and probably would have fallen happily back to sleep after a bottle) but somebody (cough, cough - Ryan) was WAY too excited to watch Pierscen open presents, so we all wandered down to the tree. 


I love this first picture. I took it before we turned on the lights. We determined it was too dark to get many good pictures, but this was as soon as I set him down in front of the tree. He has the magical Christmas morning glow about him, right?


After opening a present or two, he decided exploring under the tree was more exciting. This face has "BUSTED!" written all over it!


I wrapped up a few things that he has always had, but hasn't seen in a while with the move. I figured he wouldn't know the difference and it would give him something to unwrap. Thanks zebra thingy and Scentsy Buddy. 



This was his "big ticket" item from us this year. It came from Once Upon a Child, a used kids stuff store. It's pretty dang awesome. Just saying.



Pierscen's "O.G." (Other Grandma) Rayola sent him a few amazing gifts too. Pictured below is a little cd player. This was definitely his favorite. He didn't care about anything else after he opened this one. She also sent a very handsome 3-piece suit. It is so cute! The shirt is purple. It's a tiny bit big for him now, but it will be absolutely perfect for Easter!!! This little guy is incredibly lucky to have her as his other Grandma. They have a pretty special bond.





 For it being his first Christmas, I think he did pretty good. His attention span didn't last terribly long, but for what it was worth, he did great. I am looking forward to next year as I am sure he will be even more interested in tearing things apart. :)


Here is a beautiful self portrait of Dodger and myself. Proof I was there. Haha.


Ryan and Pierscen with our gifts. We didn't do anything huge this year. Buying a house was a pretty big deal. ;) Ryan got some greenhouse books (building and growing) and I got a piano book, a Jillian Michaels workout, and that folding banquet table everything is one for my crafting! We got some wonderful gifts from siblings and parents as well. Thank you!


 Christmas Eve I sent a message to our next door neighbor Melody to see if she and her man David and their little girl Lyric wanted to join us for breakfast. They said yes! I was really stoked about that. They are close to our age and we have talked in passing a few times, but we have never hung out. Lyric is only 2 weeks younger than P, so I knew they would be great friends. :)


With Ryan's help, we turned out a delicious breakfast of Aebelskivers, sausage, scrambled eggs, and clementines. This was the first time I have ever made the Aebelskivers on my own - or at that rate - ever even helped. At homes, they are my dad's thing. I have watched him lots, but watching and doing are two totally different things. I did order a cook book and the Aebelskiver pan well in advance, and though I didn't practice beforehand, I felt relatively confident. They turned out SO good! I was super proud. I don't know what David and Melody thought, but I was happy. Later Ryan admitted to me that it had crossed his mind that if anyone could mess the Aebelskivers up, it would be me. Hahaha, sad, but so true. I am happy to report it didn't happen though. Go me!


Lyric is adorable. Pierscen was totally enamored with her. She is already walking and I think this impressed him quite a bit. I am not really in a hurry for him to walk, but I think if he hung out with her more he would probably pick it up faster. 


It was really great to have them over. I hope it opened the door for more opportunities to hang out. They are super nice and like I said - Pierscen and Lyric are already practically betrothed, so what can you do? ;)


 After breakfast I took Dodger for a walk and took the opportunity to take some snap shots of the squirrel prints in the snow. I seriously love those animals. I know they can be pests, but they are such remarkable creatures!


 I particularly love the picture above. Notice the prints hoping perfectly along the wall? And the pictures below... wow! Talk about squirrel city!
 

The rest of the afternoon was spent enjoying new presents and hanging out together. It was low key and wonderful.




It was strange not running out the door to make it to both families, and it was kind of sad too, but it was nice at the same time. If all worked out well and the weather cooperated, we were planning on heading to Utah for New Years weekend to be with family. A few days past Christmas, but I say that counts!


 All in all, I would say it was a great success. We have so many blessings. I am grateful for Ryan's job, our great family, this amazing house, and the fact that all our temporal needs are met. I am grateful for the chance to celebrate the birth of our Lord. He has given us all that we have. I, for one, want to give more back. Definitely time for some New Years Resolutions. :)

2 comments:

  1. So fun! Looks like you guys had a good day. Christmas with kids is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may not be a specific-to-the-post comment, but I figured the best way to express gratitude for you commenting on my blog was to comment on yours! I think you're also a fantastic writer and I love how you've updated the look of your blog. Your family's adorable. You're hilarious. Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete