Tuesday, January 22, 2013

New Years In Utah

 The Friday after Christmas, the 28th, Pierscen and I picked up Ryan from work around 1 pm and headed out of town. We told our families that we were planning on coming for New Years, but that it would all depend on the weather. Thankfully that weekend looked clear weather wise, but there are still no guarantees when it comes to I-80. Often it gets shut down not because of snow, but because of the wind. Thankfully we made it through just fine and arrived Friday evening around 8ish. We stopped by my parents to say hello, and then headed to Ryan's parent's for the evening.

We had a fantastic weekend. I was able to go to lunch with some of my dance friends Saturday afternoon and Saturday evening I went to see Les Miserables with Necia, Bill, my mom, and Ryan's mom. It. Was. AMAZING! I have always loved the music and have been wondering what has taken them so long to turn it into a full scale movie production. They did that with Phantom years ago, which was incredible, so I was surprised it took them ages to do Les Mis. Seriously, it was so, so good. I don't think anyone made it through with dry eyes. As we were leaving and discussing it, I realized that we were all crying for different reasons. It all hit us in different ways. For me, even though I know the story and the music, now that I am a mother, I was seeing it in a whole new light. Everything Fantine puts herself through to help Cosette - wow. Is there anything a mother wouldn't do for their child? Is there anything I wouldn't do? I don't think so. That boy means everything to me. 

Sunday Ryan and I went to my parent's ward to listen to my mom give a talk. She is an incredible speaker and did a great job. A lot about news years resolutions and being our better selves. 

Monday I spent a little bit of time with my dancer pals again. It was my friend's Allie's birthday so we had to celebrate. :) That evening was New Years Eve so the big party was at my parents. We doubled up on the celebration and had another birthday party for the little man. The really cool thing about this party cake was that I got it at Macey's... for free. That's right. Any of you moms out there in Utah, Macey's gives out free 8" round cakes for your baby's 1st birthday. No need to preorder. Just go in, pick it out, have them write on it and that is that. It's pretty huge for a baby cake - but it's butter cream frosting which is a big plus and a negative. Plus - super messy fun. Negative - super messy fun. Hahaha. It is so hard to clean off! 

Anyway, whereas his birthday was only a few days before this, Pierscen didn't hesitate at all with this cake. He was still a little dainty with the frosting, but he knew what it was for, and before long, he was covered in it.






Pierscen wasn't shy about handing out kisses during the cake fun. Messy, but sweet. :)








P made good work of his cake before we finally called it done as he started to toss chunks of it overboard. He really only did damage to half of the cake, so that left the other half for us to eat. I scooped him up and carried him with my arms outstretched and ran him upstairs to the tub. It took a luffa sponge with some exfoliating body wash to scrub that frosting off of him. It's not easy! But he had a lot of fun.


My mom and niece Samantha made a delicious Texas sheet cake for everyone else. It says "Happy 1st Bday Pierscen" It was awesome. 

After the party, Ryan and I stopped by my friend Lisa's in-laws to say hello for a second. Lisa and her hubby Andy are living in Texas right now while Andy gets his masters. I wish we could have stayed longer, but Pierscen was exhausted. We excused ourselves, went back to Ryan's parents, put P down for bed and then hung out with Tallon and Karma Sue until midnight. We all felt like old fogies. Getting to midnight was quite the task. In fact, we almost called it a night before that, but it was so close to midnight we figured we might as well wait a little longer. Ryan and Clair went to find some fireworks from the garage and we went outside in the snow and lit of lots of bottle rockets and some ones Ryan had given his dad from Wyoming for his birthday. It was actually a lot of fun. Ryan and Tallon are such goofy boys together. They revert right back to teenagers. Especially if there is fire, guns, or fireworks involved. Haha. It was pretty entertaining. No fingers, eyes, or limbs were lost. It was a fantastic evening. 

Tuesday morning we packed up and said our goodbyes. The pictures below are of P and Uncle Asa. You would never know Asa is adopted. They look a lot alike!
 


  We stopped by the hospital to see some coworkers and then hit the road. Pierscen was utterly exhausted and passed out not far up Provo Canyon. He traveled really well and we made it home safely even though we did drive through horizontal snow for the last 45 minutes of the drive.


It was a great weekend. I am grateful that Ryan has holidays off. It sure is nice not to have to worry about that any more! I am also grateful that the weather was so well behaved to give us the chance to make it home for a while. We sure love our family!

1 comment:

  1. Fun fun fun! But question: Did your parents do more remodeling in the last few years? That kitchen shot looks WAY more open then what I'm use to seeing.

    ReplyDelete