Monday, August 27, 2012

Back To The Beehive State - Part 2

Tuesday morning, the 8 hour drive hit me. I was so wasted! I could barely drag myself out of bed. However, Tuesday was Fairfield day to visit Grandpa H. (Ellen's dad.)


Pierscen had lots of fun rolling around and grabbing onto Grandpa's fingers. That little guy is always on the go!



While Pierscen was taking a nap, I walked over to the school house with the girls. Natalie, Madi, and Emily all followed Ms. Traci as she gave them writing lessons. It was pretty cool.


It was also neat to wander around and think about how different life used to be. We are so lucky to have the modern amenities that we do. And to be able to attend school with kids our own age where we can be taught age appropriate curriculum. I really admire the teachers who had to teach children ages 5-17 in the same room. I can't even image how hard that would have been!




We spent a few hours out at Grandpa's. I even snuck in a little nap on of the back chairs. I was so tired I was hardly even functioning. We headed home early afternoon. It was good to see Grandpa and I think he enjoyed seeing the grandkids. 

Wednesday morning was Pierscen's check up. I dropped Dodger off at his old vet to get his hair cut. (Technically it's not really old since we haven't found him a new one.)

After I dropped him off I swung by my in-laws to pick up Ellen. She has been really great to accompany me for these visits. 

The appointment went very well. I knew it was only going to take about 5 minutes, but somehow it's still a little disappointing when it does only take 5 minutes. :) Our surgeon was actually out of town, so we met with his partner. He came in with another guy who I assume is the resident or fellow. Immediately they started talking more to each other than to us. The Dr would ask the resident questions and they would rattle on for a while. I wanted to raise my hand and say, "Hey, educate him all you want, but we are here for my son and it would be great it would stop and talk to us too." Of course, he did eventually stop his mini lesson and addressed us. Everything looks great. He did tell us that the plates and screws will disolve between 12-14 months and that about 30 days before the screws disappear, they will actually swell and look like cysts. It is all part of the process and then just like that - poof - they are gone. Crazy, crazy stuff. I asked how long the yearly check ups would last and responded, "Honestly? Quite a while. We want to see them well into school and make sure everything is still okay." He gave us the all clear and said our doctor would see us again at the 6 month mark.

It wasn't until we had left that I remembered why that sounded strange. It's cause our doctor told us 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, and then yearly. I can't think of why we would need to be back at 3 months, but since OUR doctor told us to come back that soon, we went ahead and scheduled an appointment for the end of September. I am sure that one will last 5 minutes too. I am tempted to call and ask his nurse if it's really necessary. I don't want to have to pay for an unnecessary visit - but it at least guarantees that I will get out there sooner to see my family. Honestly, I would love to see my family, but things have been so crazy. It would be wonderful to have some more time to stay in one spot. (Since this post is super delayed... to date... Surgery. 1 week later move to Casper. 2 weeks later go to San Diego. 2 weeks later go to Utah. 1 month later go to Cheyenne/Denver. 1 week later move into new home. 1 month later go to Utah again.) Sigh...

Anyway, Dodger got a great summer hair cut. He was of course exhausted and thought for sure he was going to freeze to death.


He was very grateful to have the trampoline at my parent's to sunbathe on.


Thursday evening, Ryan's whole family (minus Jessica's husband Cameron) went swimming at The Scera. As I was getting Pierscen ready, I glanced in his mouth and to my surprise... he had a tooth!!! No wonder he was so drooly! I mean, I knew he was "teething" but I didn't know he was TEETHING! Hear me out... he has had several teething phases. The tooth comes up a little. He drools and chews on everything. And then it's gone. But suddenly the tooth was there! Through the gums! I think what surprised me the most was the fact that he hadn't been cranky. He didn't act any different than he normally does. He was still a happy, sweet little guy. No tantrums. No screaming in pain. Just ... TADA! Tooth!


P was pretty tired by the time we got the pool, but he actually did really well! We sat at the edge of the water and just let him splash and kick. He lasted a lot longer than I expected and really seemed to enjoy it.


The picture on the right is our whole group. Lots of cousins on Ellen's side came too. It was a lot of fun.



Funny enough, all three of the youngest boys ended up with blond hair and blue eyes. So naturally we had to get a picture. 
 

Jessica and Kristopher, Me and Mr. P, and Jodi and Kaden.



The pool party was a lot of fun. I think Pierscen will be a great little swimmer some day. :)


P has turned into a world class eater. He loves his food!

Friday was a low key day. It was actually kind of funny. The beginning of the week was chaos. I felt so flustered and stressed trying to make sure I spent the right amount of time with everyone. But the rest of the week, I really didn't have anything to do. None of my friends were able to hang out. So I did a lot of reading and sitting around. But hey, that's not a bad thing either. Don't get much of a chance to relax at home. ;)


We did go down to the hospital to say hi to Jeanette, Mike, and a few other co-workers. Pierscen was a total Lady's Man with the office gals. He was so stinking cute. They had him laughing and giggling like crazy. It was awesome.


Saturday morning we packed up and headed out. The kids were wonderful. We met up again at McDonalds in Rawlins and traded cars. We typically make Dodger travel in his crate, but he is so good to just sleep on our laps, we decided to just let him be. I kept him on my lap - for safety reasons - pretty much the whole trip. At one point, however, he suddenly jumped up and literally dove to Ryan's lap. It was so unexpected that all we could do was laugh. He immediately curled up and went to sleep.


It was a good trip, but it was a little strange at the same time. We had only been gone a month at that point, so it really didn't seem like we had been gone at all. In fact, there were several times I found myself on auto pilot driving back to the old apartment. I am sure it will be different our next visit as Casper is feeling more and more like home. It is a challenge to be away from family, but it's a growing experience too. And thankfully we really aren't that far away from Utah. That's a comfort too.

No comments:

Post a Comment