Sunday, September 11, 2011

Surprise! Suprise! A Pretty Surprise for Cinderelli!

My favorite movie to quote when it comes to birthdays is from Cinderella.

"Dah, dah... Happy Birthday!" - Gus, the fat mouse. It's not much of a quote. It's mostly in how he says it...

So this is now a month late - but I am officially wishing myself a belated happy birthday. Truthfully, this post is late because I was waiting for the per
fect picture to go along with it. I had it all planned out in my mind, but the opportunity never presented itself. Oh well.

My actual birthday was on a Wednesday and I had to work. (Well, I think if I had really tried I might have been able to find someone to work, but Ryan had to work anyway and what was I going to do all day without him? Better to get paid on your birthday, right?)

So we had a joint celebration for James and myself on Sunday since our birthdays are 5 days apart. We also celebrated two of my nieces birthdays, but they just turned 2 and didn't really know the difference.


As always, it was fun to hang out with the family and enjoy some delicious birthday cake, ice cream and unwrap some wonderful gifts. Thanks family!

Wednesday before work, Ryan and I went to the gym and then went to celebrate my birthday with Denny's. Yum!!! They just so happened to have a tropical theme going on so I was able to get some pancakes with coconut whipped topping, macadamia nuts and pineapple chunks along with my bacon and eggs. So good!

Work was fairly normal. I was lucky enough to only have to work a 6 hour shift instead of 12. When I got off I hung out with Ryan for a while and then took myself window shopping and then off to clean the car. By the time I got around to washing the car it was almost 9 pm and totally dark. The whole time I was scrubbing away frantically at one of those outdoor do-it-yourself joints, I was praying, "Please don't let anyone mug me! Please don't let anyone hurt me! This is by far the stupidest thing I have done in a long time. I promise I will never do it again. Please let me make it out alive!" Thankfully that prayer was answered and no strange men decided to attack a lone blond chick cleaning her car in the dark. Lesson learned. Funny thing was, in the morning I noticed what a horrible job I had done. There were still bugs plastered to the front. It didn't even look like I had done anything. Well - that's another reason not to was the car alone at night.

Anyway, the following day I had a few piano lessons in the morning. When I returned I noticed a present sitting in the middle of the living room. It was a 14 inch Lodge Dutch Oven! Ryan and I have both been wanting a bigger dutch oven for a while now - and a birthday was a perfect excuse. Ryan had filled the inside with candy and a gift card to Joann's Fabric! Is that boy sweet or what?! Something for our outdoorsiness and something for my feminine side (and sweet tooth too). I love him so much! Which, I think that if anyone wants to come over before the weather gets too cold, we should make some cobbler in the dutch oven and enjoy the deliciousness!



We also went out to eat at our favorite place - Mi Ranchito! Seriously so good. Get #6. Two Beef Tacos. Sounds simple - and it is, but there is just something about it... Fantastic stuff. And get the strawberry daiquiri (non-alcoholic of course) to go along with it if you can. :)

It was a very chill, but good birthday.

Now, going back for a minute, you may be wondering why, on my birthday, I would choose to wash the car at 9 pm by myself. Well, it all goes back to that desire for the perfect picture. The one that still doesn't exist...

A couple weeks before my birthday I decided to "buy" myself a gift. I came home one day and forced a worried confession look onto my face. I told Ryan that I had bought myself a gift. A big one. An expensive one. He looked at me curious - not at all upset, but the wheels were certainly spinning. I told him it was in the car - too big for me to bring in. I took him upstairs and outside. As we approached the car I jumped into my cheerleader presentation stance with my arms showcasing the car. He looked at me, and then the car, and then back to me as realization dawned,

"You paid off the car?!" he asked.

"Yup! I paid it off! Happy birthday to me!!!"

At that he threw his arms around me and gave me a big hug. We had planned to pay it off before baby came, but I was going to draw it out a few more months and pay it in smaller chunks. But I decided to just pay it off as a birthday present.

The title arrived later that week. It was for this reason that I wanted the car to be all cleaned and spiffy so I could take a picture with the title. Maybe I still will. But I don't want to put of posting any longer. I am so very far behind as it is.

So here it is - our 2008 Toyota Highlander, purchased Sept of 2009. This picture was taken the day we bought it. It has been the best purchase ever. I love the way that it drives. It gets great gas mileage. Plenty of room. And it has been amazing for all of our trips. Certainly big enough for our new 14 inch dutch oven and baby on the way cause you better believe we will be taking this little guy camping and fishing. :)

I suppose it is appropriate that I postponed this post for a while because I had a funny experience this week. Wednesday night I ordered a book off Amazon. Friday night I had a package from Amazon in the mail. I was very much surprised, but also very impressed. I thought to myself, "I have got to give them a 5 star rating!" I opened the package and found that the book inside was not the book I had ordered at all, but instead 'The Hiding Place' that I had read earlier this year. I looked for a shipping slip, but there was none. The outside had a returned mailing address in Nevada, but no explanation. I was immensely confused. I had looked at buying that book months ago - right after I read it. I loved it so much it was one I really wanted to own. But I never bought it. In fact, I never even put it in my shopping cart or on my wish list on the time. Just looked. I simply didn't know what to do. I checked my credit cards and emails and couldn't find anything related to the purchase. I decided to leave it sitting on my desk for a few days while I tried to decide what course of action to take.

Finally today I sent a text to my sister and to my best friend Nicia to explain the situation. My sister said it was certainly bizarre, but maybe someone had sent it to me. Nicia responded almost right after that said, "Hmm... no packing slip huh? So there was no note that said losa - happy birthday (a month late!) I love you. - Nicia in there? Because if there was one in there that is what it would have said! :) (which p.s. it was suppose to!)

Hahahaha. Oh my Nicia. How well she knows me. And to think that I fretted about it for days trying to decide what to do when all along it was a birthday gift! Well thanks Nicia! And if anyone still hasn't read it yet - what are you waiting for?! Read it!

2 comments:

  1. Bahaha. That timing really was incredible! Cracks me up. And again, congrats on the car! That's so awesome. I bet you're loving not having a car payment now! And that car wash story still cracks me up. Love ya Losa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! I'm only a slightly (to extremely) jealous of your new car. :)

    ReplyDelete