Sunday, September 25, 2011

It Begins

I wouldn't call it nesting. In fact, I won't call it nesting. I have moments of it, of course, but those moments come in spurts of anxiety - absolute overwhelming feelings of, "Oh my heck... there is so much to do. So much I don't even know where to begin." So I usually just go to bed. And then I feel much better.

I had a discussion with some co-workers the other day about the definition of "overwhelmed." The prefix, if you can call it that, "over" obviously implies that there is an ample amount. More than intended. Too much. But if that's the case, is there an "under"whelmed? And if so, what would I give for that? How about just "whelmed?" Now that would really be ideal. Not too much, not too little. I will admit, that on a typical day I probably lean more towards the "over" than the "under," but so long as nothing crazy pops up, I think I can manage to find a "whelmed" balance. Yes, full time work, 14 piano students, two church callings, and literally not a day off in the week while being two days away from 7 months pregnant is a bit much. And I have been feeling it. But as is evidence of our loving Lord's awareness of us, I was just released from Activity Days. I actually enjoyed the calling, and I loved my companion, but I am very grateful for the break. There is still a lot on my plate, but I can manage. I have never been one to have too much time on my hands, and as time is ticking down, I figure I better make the most of it.


So as Ryan and I have been preparing for baby and gathering items here and there, we realized we really don't have anywhere to put it yet. We do have a couple spare bedrooms, but as this apt was originally used as a college girl's apt, those rooms were already filled with twin size beds, big nice frames, head boards, and other random things like a cedar chest and multiple broken vacuums. I couldn't tell you why we still have those... The furniture never bothered us before, but seeing as we actually have things to put in there instead, it was time.

Ryan, my studly husband, did all the moving while I was gone at piano and the gym. I told him I would help, but I think he was excited to get started and just went at it. Truthfully, I don't know how much use I would have been anyway since I can't really lift anything. But it was way impressive! He moved everything out of the rooms and into the living room. Together we took a desk we had in the living room that served no other purpose than to catch our junk as we walked in the door, and moved it back to his "man cave" to serve as a real desk. Then with all the major lifting out of the way, I set to work cleaning up those dreaded piles of "stuff."


It has now been a couple of weeks since the furniture has been in our living room, but the moving crew - aka, Ryan's dad, is coming this weekend to help us move it down to Ryan's grandparents for storage. It's a little crowded now, but the difference in those back rooms is already amazing! As soon as this other stuff is gone, we will really be able to get organized. And then I will take another picture to show you how awesome it is. :)

I don't feel pressured or worried about it. I am not in panic mode. Everything will get done. Just one project at a time. Later, when I start feeling that overwhelming need to scrub everything in sight, and get that crib set up NOW even though baby still has a while... then I will call it nesting. For now, it's just normal projects.

The funny thing is that I just added that little count down ticker to my blog and made Ryan come out and see it. Ryan took a look at it and read the note that says "about 86 days left." His eyes grew wide.

"Holy crap, Dodger," he said. "86 days! Let's go back to the man cave..." And with that he ran away.

So yeah, there is some panic in there, but we will get it all done and it will be fantastic.

1 comment:

  1. I must be a weirdo, because with both Alyssa and Logan I didn't have true nesting till literally the night before I went into labor. And Logan's room was nowhere near ready when he came along, so since I couldn't do anything there, I totally cleaned and moved around Alyssa's room instead. Looking back at it, I just laugh. When I was pregnant with Alyssa I was in NM, and remember going CRAZY in the kitchen. I stayed up all night cleaning every nook and cranny in the kitchen. It felt SO wonderful! Ahhh, nesting. How I wish I could always feel that way. My house wouldn't have a speck of dirt or dust in sight! Can't wait to see those after pictures!

    ReplyDelete