Thursday, August 4, 2011

6.5 More Books

It's time for another book review! I like to write a couple reviews in one sitting, so I usually wait until I have 2-3 books under my belt. But then I start another book and I get to thinking, "I might as well wait until I am done with this one..." And before you know it, 2-3 books turns into 6-7. In this case 6.5.

First off - the book I was so excited to write about last time...

The $64 Tomato: by William Alexander.


Before you say anything, just read the explanation on the front: "How one many nearly lost his sanity, spent a fortune, and endured an existential crisis in the quest for the perfect garden."

Aren't you hooked?

So again, before you judge, I was meandering through the library trying to find something that looked worth while. However, my previous attempt
at this had led me to a book with a great plot - but with a lot of... shall we say... unnecessary scenes in it. I swear - everything I picked up after that was based on the same stuff. Lust, sex, murder, same old, same old. I was really craving something fresh. I had just about given up when I found this in the Staff Picks. I was immediately interested. Honestly, I love this genre! True stories, told by witty and delightful authors - you can't beat it.

And I must say, this book did not disappoint. It wasn't just the fact that I am interested in gardening (although I am not that good at it) but it was the way he tells the stories. Every day stories and experiences that literally had me crying and laughing out loud. It was fantastic! 5 out 5 stars, no question.

The next book I read was right along the same lines. In fact, it was recommended at the end of my tomato book.

If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name: by Heather Lende.


I was drawn to this book for a couple reasons. 1. It was recommended by the last one. 2. Ryan loves Alaska and I thought I would enjoy reading about it too. 3. I love the feel of small towns and the closeness and stories that come from it.

My impression? A little - blah. I enjoyed reading about the people and the life style, but after coming off the high from the tomato book - both in content a
nd writing style, this one was pretty boring. Don't get me wrong. It wasn't horrible. It just wasn't very exciting either. In fact, and I am ashamed to say this, but this is where the ".5" comes in. I gave up about halfway through. This is tragic for me in many ways. The last book I remember "giving up on" was the Work and the Glory something like #5 when life got too busy. I always finish the books I read. Even if they aren't always worth it. I know this thinking is flawed, but somehow I keep thinking that if I stop reading a book it is an even bigger waste of my time than if I finish it and still didn't like it. I know that's not right. In fact, I am sure I would save myself a lot of time if I just stopped reading books that didn't interest me. Thankfully, I haven't felt the need to do so very often. I can only think of one or two that were deserving of that. This wasn't one of them. It wasn't even bad! I honestly did like it... I was just bored. And there is a big difference between being bored and still liking a book (yes, it's possible) and just not liking a book at all. So I am bummed that this is my first book I chose to abandon. Sorry Alaska lady. So from what I read... 3 out of 5 stars. Don't know if that's a fair judgement, but there it is.

The next book is...

The Golden Compass: by Philip Pullman.


Yes, this is the one they turned into a movie years ago and a big warning was sent around to Christians alike saying not to watch it because it was Anti-Christ and all of that. So I didn't see the movie or read the book. Until I realized that two of my co-workers had read it and I asked their opinion. Neither of them felt that it deserved that kind of label and they both said it was an interesting read. So I decided to give it a try.

I actually really enjoyed the first book. It is a really interesting plot. The only "anti" anything in this book was that it made reference to "The Church" - (Catholic) and how it was doing horrible things in the name of the Church. Sadly - this has been true as long as humans have been on the earth. As long as Satan is out there, people will do horrible things in the name of something good. Doesn't make it right. And as for this book - it was no different.
In fact, from the Church's perspective, they were actually trying to do the right thing. It just turns out that it wasn't. The only other "anti" thing is that one of the character's goal is to break through this world into another and "kill God." Obviously, this is where the red flag should be raised. However, you learn in later books that there isn't a "God" to kill. It doesn't follow our Godhead, and there is certainly no Christ figure - thus making it impossible for it to really be "Anti-Christ." So there really isn't anything to be offended by. I did enjoy this book. I would give it 4 out of 5.

Next, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass: by Philip Pullman.


Books two and three in the series. I will just lump them to
gether and get it over with because I can review them about the same. I like a lot of the elements in these books, but they get really weird. I mean really weird. If you are going to read any of the series, just stop with the first one. It's hard to do because it ends in such a "what's going to happen next?" sort of way, but both of these books were just bizarre. In these books you watch the characters go in and out of different worlds, meet and fight with and against angels and witches, learn where all the "Dust" is going - the big subject of the first book that carries through, and then watch the main characters go to the underworld to free the dead, and replay a sort of Adam and Eve scene.


It actually makes no sense.
I had a long discussion with my co-worker about this and of all the elements of these books, we were both just so lost as to why things ended the way they did. When "The Church" exists, but "God" doesn't - not really anyway, Adam and Eve did - but "the fall" wasn't enough once... what the heck?! They say that Pullman was trying to make a statement because he is Atheist, but if he was, I don't know what it is. Because it's honestly not even Anti-Religious. He condemns doing horrible things in the name of something else, but most of us would agree with that stance. And as for needing a second Fall? Who knows. Super strange. So stick with the first one. For books two and three - 3 out of 5 stars for some of the fantasy elements, 2 out of 5 for everything else.

The Glass Palace: by Amitav Ghosh.



I actually went to the library looking for The Glass Castle as it had been recommended to me, but I couldn't remember what it was called. I typed in Palace instead of Castle and this one popped by. I knew right away it wasn't the right book, but it actually sounded really interesting.

This book took me the longest a book has probably ever taken me to get through. At least in the last 4-5 years. Probably because 1. The print was small and compact. 2. It takes place in Burma and India and uses a lot of the native terms and name (appropriately) and it hurt my brain. 3. The plot isn't very thrilling.

It starts at the British invasion of Burma in 1885 and
ends... I don't know 50ish years after WWII, all following the same family. Typically I am a character person. I care about a book based on its characters. And though these characters were interesting, it was much more the history that kept me reading. Because it spans such a huge length of time, a lot of the "plot" where you actually get to watch the characters do things is pretty limited. It spends a chapter going into great detail with a few of the characters and the next thing you know it's 20 years later. Kind of strange. But I still enjoyed it. I do like historical fiction, and I think that's what kept me going, because the characters and the story line wasn't necessarily enough to do it for me. Would I recommend it? Yes and no. If you want action and a plot that really keeps you going, this would probably be last on your list. If you want a challenge and enjoy this history of things, then sure. As for star rating... maybe a 3.5 out of 5.

I planned on writing my book review after that one, but we went camping and my father-in-law gave me a book from his sister to read that looked light and easy. And after hurting my brain with the previous one, I needed an easy read.

Her Good Name: by Josie Kilpack.


This is an LDS novel, and as I have mentioned before, I don't love reading those. I say this with caution of course, but a lot of them are cheesy and too simplified. I can say with this one I was pleasantly surprised. Josie Kilpack is a great writer. She is witty, charming, and at least in this book, she is dealing with some heavy stuff - being identity theft, drug rings, and the likes. And a little bit of romance. But it wasn't cheesy. It wasn't shoved down your throat. The threat was real. It happens all the time. In fact, at the end of the book there was tons of information about identity theft, credit reports, where to get help, all that stuff. Pretty cool. And it was a super easy read. Some of the chapters were less than a page long. Hahaha. And the print was bigger and more spaced out. Funny how something as simple as the printing can make a difference. I would give it a 4.5 out of 5 stars.

And that gets me caught up for now. I forgot to mention in my original book post of things I have read that I have read several books by James Harriot. He is probably my favorite author ever. He was a British vet who passed away several years ago. I love, love, love his books! If you love animals of any kind and want a really well written book - pick up one of his. 5 out of 5 all the time.

1 comment:

  1. You need to get on Goodreads my friend so that I can follow up with all of these awesome books that you are reading. I agree with the Golden Compass series. I read them WAY before there was a movie or a controversy. I agree with being really good and then just getting kind of hard to follow. Almost like there is supposed to be some great symbolism that is way beyond us mere mortals capacity for understanding...

    ReplyDelete