Sunday, February 6, 2011

Oh Yes I did

I think every household has that fix-it job that needs to be done, but that just never happens.

Ours was the toilet. You know when occasionally the chain will slip off the handle so you have to take the lid off and lift the flapper by hand? Well ours was something like that - but a little beyond that too. First of all, we don't have a chain. It's a plastic piece. I don't know if this was how it originally came, or if this was already a makeshift connection piece. This plastic piece is connected to the flusher handle by a plastic twisty tie - like the kind you find around bread. The other end has also gone through some creative makeshift fixes. I think it has been connected to the actual flapper via a paperclip, safety pin, and the latest fix - suture. The last time the plastic "chain" disconnected from the flapper, Ryan sutured them back together. Yes, actual suture. (Can't you just imgaine it? Ryan poised over the toilet tank with his surgical gloves and sterile needle and thread...Priceless.) I thought it was genius! The suture actually lasted a long time, but I think the knot eventually became untied. So for the last month or so, the lid to the tank has been on the floor and we have been flushing it manually by putting our hand in the frigid tank water and lifting up the flapper.

Although inconvenient, it really wasn't that big of a deal. At least not for the first week or two. But it started to get really annoying. So a couple of days ago I decided I had had enough and that I was going to fix it. After dropping Ryan off to work, I went to Lowe's and began wandering up and down the aisles. Eventually I was approached by an employee who asked if I needed any help finding anything.

"Well," I began, "I have a question about toilets."

"Okay, well I can probably help you with that."
I sighed. "And now comes the part where I attempt to describe what I am talking about because I don't know the actual name for anything." (I instantly felt like a typical blond in a car shop growling and grunting, trying to mimic the sound the car was making.)

Luckily he laughed and assured me that it happens all the time. We walked to another row lined with toilet "guts." He invited another worker over and we began discussing my problem. If I chose, I could replace the whole internal workings, but all I really needed was just a new flapper and chain. And they are only about $5! We stood there talking and laughing for a while before I thanked them and headed out the door.
I was absolutely determined to fix it by myself. I wanted to surprise Ryan. I was confident that if I could do it, he would be super impressed. So I got home and got to work. I turned off the water, slid off the old flapper, disconnected the plastic piece from the twisty tie and began connecting the new one. It took less than five minutes and after a couple trial flushes, the toilet was as good as new.

I cannot describe the swelling pride I felt for myself. I did it! All. By. Myself.
I had to wait all day until Ryan came home to see the true fruits of my labor. I hoped that if I put the lid back on the tank that Ryan would flush it by default and realize it was all fixed. I sat in our bedroom waiting. Sure enough I heard a flush followed by a surprised, "Whhhaaattt?"

He came into the bedroom to see me squirming with excitement. I couldn't even wait for him to say anything about it. "I did it! I fixed it all by myself! Are you proud of me?!"

"I am SO proud of you!" He replied.

I sat there beaming, giggling with a ridiculous amount of pride in myself. It was such a simple fix. Anyone could have done it. But point being - I did. I did it. Cause I am cool like that.

4 comments:

  1. I read this to Joe and he laughed and said, Funny thing is, it's really called a flapper and chain." You know what you're talking about and you don't even know it! :) I'm so proud of you! Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What up!!! Good for you Diana. I sometimes feel like I still don't do anything for myself. Fred is just happy for me when I actually have dinner on the table when he comes home from work. And that's technically my job. I think he's worried for me for when he leaves to Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I am such a GIRL when it comes to that stuff... I am sure I would have screwed it all up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha I seriously laughed out loud when I read "I have a question about toilets" you kill me. And good job fixing the flusher!

    ReplyDelete