Wednesday, February 9, 2011

With Nuggets to Spare

The other day I went in to register a patient in the room. The patient was elderly, but completely "with it." However, I primarily ended up speaking with one of the daughters who knew all the answers to the questions anyway.

As I was going through my list of questions, out of the corner of my eye, I saw the patient's face suddenly brighten.

"Ding! Ding! Ding!" the patient chimed. "You're a winner!"

I smiled and tilted my headed questioningly.

The patient then presented me with a plate full of chicken nuggets.

I laughed and kindly refused the plate saying, "No, no, you better eat those. That's your dinner!"

The daughter burst out laughing. "There's a hundred of them!"

I glanced at the tray next to the bed to see a box still nearly full with the crispy golden chicken pieces.

"No seriously," the daughter continued, "There really is a hundred of them. Take some!"

I graciously declined the offer a second time, but left the room smiling. What a sweet patient. Even if the offer was just a ploy to get rid of a bunch of them, it still felt nice to be deemed a "winner." It was so funny!

The rest of the evening was chaos. It was SO busy! In fact, I don't think I got completely caught up on my side even once. But even though I thought I might pull my hair out any second, I just kept picturing it in my mind:

"Ding! Ding! Ding! You're a winner!" I think that may be my new mantra...

5 comments:

  1. That is totally awesome. Wish I could be a nugget winner! Love your blog by the way, thanks for telling me about it. I'm way proud of you and the potty. I wouldn't have been brave enough to try it, I'd have called my daddy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you really must have impressed! No one has ever offered me a chicken nugget! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha. I wanted to tell you me and my husband have been giggling about this story for the past few days. I am TOTALLY going to start saying that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i want someone to say that, but with money tied to it

    ReplyDelete