Thursday, December 22, 2016

Stitches For Each State

We were overdue for stitches anyway. So far we have a tradition of getting stitches at least once per state we live in. (Though technically we were living in Wyoming for both of Pierscen's head gashes, but one happened in Utah while visiting and since he was born there, that counts. Haha.)

I was upstairs putting laundry away and heard a crash, a scream, and lots of crying. I came down the stairs, looked around the corner and saw blood gushing out of his mouth. My first thought was much like the second time this happened, "Ah crap. Not again."

I scooped him up, took him to the sink and started mopping up blood to assess the damage. The cut wasn't ginormous, but I could tell right away it was going to need stitches. From what I gathered, he was walking on the end table and slipped. It was either his own tooth that went through the lip, or maybe it was landing on the Lincoln Log Box. Who knows. 



The fun twist to this one was that I had agreed to watch my friend's son, Henry. Pierscen took his spill moments before they arrived. Henry's dad is a Pediatric ER doc, ironically, and he happened to be there when they dropped Henry off. He came in to look at the cut. No, it wasn't huge, but because the cut went through the edge of the lip that gives the lip it's line, it definitely needed stitches so that the lip wouldn't heal gagged. The hard part would be figuring out who would do the stitches. 



I called his pediatrician, but because it was a facial wound, they said they wouldn't do it. I called the instacare. Same thing. So off the ER we went. I opted to keep Henry with me so that he could help entertain Devry. Honestly, he was a life saver!




The wait was long. It is an ER afterall. Henry and Devry kept each other happy all the way up until Henry's mom came to pick him up. It was after he left that things got hard. This trip took us through Devry's nap time and lunch. Hungry, cranky child. Oh, it wasn't pretty. But we survived. 


He looked like he was sedated in most of these pictures, but he wasn't. He was just super focused on the Disney channel. He cried a tiny bit when they numbed the area, but he was a champ. 



They only ended up doing two stitches, though it probably could have used a third. The problem was that it really wasn't as numb as they had hoped. I guess it's really difficult to get those deeper layers numb. So instead of hurting him more, they opted to just do two. I had mixed feelings about it, especially considering the inner stitch, which was dissolvable, was gone super fast and that inside portion of the cut was impossible to keep clean. It was swollen and goopy and nasty and it looked like to me that the gap between stitches was pulling apart. However, after the fact it has healed well - and STRAIGHT, which was the most important part. 


Both kids got Popsicle, which was a cause for jubilation, but once they were gone...


Well, the nightmare of a starving, tired 22 month old took over. Discharge took FOREVER!!!


Eventually we were released and we made our way to the car. I loaded the kids in and Devry passed out almost instantly. I went to turn on the car and guess what? It was dead. Yup. 

I sat in the car and thought about what to do. Thankfully, the hospital is right by our neighborhood. I could have put Devry in the stroller and walked home. Pierscen was adamantly against this idea as it was really hot and we were all tired and cranky. But we could have done it. I called Henry's mom back, who lives in my neighborhood and and is also my visiting teacher. Miraculously she had jumper cables in the her and was able to drive back over. Neither of us had ever jumped a car before (on our own). Add to that both of our phones were nearly dead so getting help from Google was limited. I was able to call Ryan, who wasn't sure jumping the battery would even worked based on the sound the car was making, but he walked us through it and it worked! We win! 

What an adventure! I am so grateful that things happened how they did. Yes, stitches suck, but if it had to happen, I'm grateful it did when it did. And as for the car battery, well that was a blessing in disguise too. Ryan called the dealership when he got home from work to find out if it was under warranty. Well, I should say confirm that it was under warranty. The sticker on the battery said so, because it was replaced back in October/November of 2014 when we had all those car issues in Colorado. The dealership gave him the run around trying to find proof that it was under warranty and that we did indeed pay for the replacement two years ago, but they found what we needed. The warranty expired in one month. So yes, it was a huge blessing!

The other half of that story was that the following morning, Ryan and I planned on jumping the car again (because once it was back in the garage the battery died), then both drive to the dealership to drop it off. I would then take Ryan to work in the Taurus, then come pick him up when the Highlander was done. All was going to plan when as we were standing in the driveway waiting for the battery to charge, my friend Amber arrived with her two kids in tow. She said, "Are you still okay to watch the kids this morning?" I had no clue what she was talking about or any memory of such arrangement, but I said yes. Once she left I thought, "Holy cow. I have no way to do this. There's not enough car seats in the Taurus to make this happen." Although this is never an easy thing to do, I'm trying to learn to ask for help when I need it. And as it happens, the previous night my friend, upon learning that I had taken an extra toddler to the ER with me, told me that if anything like that happened again, I should call her. So I did! I explained the situation and said if I could even bring one kid over to play, I could pull it off. Instead, being the angel she is, she told me to bring them all over. We opted to keep Dev, but P and Amber's two went on an impromptu play date. What a life saver! When I went to pick the kids up, we were busy chatting when I got a text from Liz, Henry's mom asking if we were still good for visiting teaching. Ahhhh! I had totally forgotten that we had set up a time for a visit, ten minutes previous to this. Whoops! So I threw the kids in the car, drove around the corner, and apologized for forgetting.

What a weekend. And though it was totally crazy, every step of the way I was carried and supported through the Lord's tender mercies. So grateful for good friends and the relief society! 

No comments:

Post a Comment