Friday, September 6, 2013

And Then I Was Dog Bait

 The day after we got back from Colorado Springs, I was taking Dodger for a walk before church. We were about two blocks from my house approaching a house I have passed a million times. For the first time ever (since we have been here anyway), they had two dogs outside - both rottweilers. One full grown, and one pup. As we reached their home, I heard the owner saying, "Uh oh."

That's never anything you want to hear... but it's also a little difficult to know what to do. Turn and run? In retrospect... probably. But as it was, I have learned that when approached by dogs that I don't know and that seem aggressive, if given the chance to actually smell the other dog, they do okay. In fact, I've heard it said that if you have a dog on a lead and you are approaching another dog, it's best to try and keep the line slack if you can. If they can feel that you are tense or nervous, they will be too. (This has proven true for Dodger anyway.)

Well, in this case, we didn't get a chance to test any theories. The full grown rottweiler saw us coming, rushed their wall (the house is actually set down a bit so you have to go down a few stairs to their side walk) and jumped said wall. Without any hesitation, it attacked Dodger. 

I can't say there was much of any thought process that went through my head at that moment. It was just response. I held tight to Dodger's leash and started lifting. This is one reason I love having him in a harness. I can lift him up into my arms without strangling him. This has saved him from many not so friendly dogs. The rottweiler continued to attack, even as Dodger was flying through the air, slowly rotating his way into my arms. Dodger was yelping and crying. At last I had him secured in my arms and the dog jumped again. This time her bite missed it's intended mark and instead buried itself in my arm.


At this point I the rottweiler retreated a bit and I was able to turn and start going the other direction. I knew I needed to let them know that she had bit me, but I had to get Dodger away. It's not like I could have a conversation with the owners while their dog continued to try and eat mine. I got home, snapped a picture (because let's admit - it was pretty awesomely gruesome at the time) and then went and found Ryan, asking for his help cleaning it up. 

 Covered in iodine

He was very upset that it happened, but also a little frustrated that I had just run away from the problem. So we put P in the car and drove the two blocks so we could go talk to the owners. 

According to the owners the rottweiler had never bitten anyone. (Although just a few weeks previous to this event, the owner had gotten between the rottweiler and another dog as they fought over the baby rottweiler. The other dog had bitten the owner and actually broken her arm. Yikes!) We chatted for a while and the owners promised to get us the vaccination records first thing in the morning because they didn't have them on hand.


As promised, she called first thing Monday morning to inform me that the dog was indeed - NOT vaccinated. Truth be told, I was not worried about rabies. But infection is another matter. So we had a choice. The owners knew that Ryan worked for the health department and that he works with Metro all the time (the animal people). The first thing that would happen if I reported it was that since the dog was not vaccinated, she would have a mandatory 10 day quarantine, either in the home or at a vet. Beyond that, I guess I could push to put her down.


 Enter my dilemma. Oddly I found myself siding with the dog (just a bit) knowing that she was, in fact, NOT trying to eat me... but my dog. Not that that is any better. Of course I worry what would have happened if P had been with me. Or if it had been any other kid. That is REALLY scary. But at the same time, I imagine having to put down my dog and the thought just kills me. 

Of course I want to do the right thing and keep others safe. But it still wasn't an easy call.


We decided not to report it. However, the owner did say she would do whatever we wanted and that if I wanted her quarantined, she would do it. So I had a really frank discussion with her. If I decided not to press the matter, what would she do to make sure it never happened again? Without hesitation she swore the dog would never be out front again unless she was chained. Well, I am going to hold her to that. It's been two months now and I pass the house on a regular basis. (Never on foot - I'm still too chicken for that.) But she has kept her word. 


 I can't say if I made the right decision. Honestly, I don't understand why people want dogs that are, traditionally speaking, so unpredictable and often really mean. I get it - everyone knows someone that had the sweetest, most loving pitbull/rottweiler/doberman/etc. I know. And I have known plenty of sweet ones too. But the truth is, it's in their nature and you just never know when they are going to turn.


So let's just hope for the best. I hope nothing ever happens to anyone again. If it does, I will be blaming myself for being such a softy. And trusting people. But I know how much an animal can mean to someone and I am just really hesitant to tear that away. Especially after someone has had said animal for 6 years without any issues. Sigh..

At least I got a cool scar out of it. I told my brother it's free advertising for Nike. He responded, "It's more of a Nike check mark than a swoosh, but that's okay." Haha. I don't mind scars. Builds character, right?

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! You were way more cool about the whole thing than I would've been. I probably would've had the same softy approach about the dog, but I would've made a way bigger deal about the injury. Would've had my husband spoon feed me ice cream every night for weeks. :) you are hard core.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So scary! I agree you are way nice and patient about it! I would have pushed putting it to sleep! If my dog ever bites anyone and breaks their skin, I will not hesitate to put her down. Though chances of that are pretty slim, with all 3 1/3 pounds of feistiness in her. Haha! Glad you are ok and that it wasn't Piercen that got attacked!

    ReplyDelete