Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Another Book Report

I have lots to blog about, but for time's sake, I am going to start with one of the more simple ones.

Book review time!

The Warrior Heir: by Cinda Williams Chima


This is the story about a teenage boy that learns he is actually a warrior connected with thousands of years of magical history. It's really easy to get into the book. The characters are great. It actually reminded me a bit of The Hunger Games in some thematic elements, but it's certainly not as gory. I really liked it.

The Wizard Heir: by Cinda Williams Chima



Next in the series, the wizard heir follows a similar outline for the story as the warrior one, only this time the character is a wizard. It's a totally new set of characters, though the old ones do reappear towards the latter half of the story. I actually liked this story a little better than the first, but it is a bummer that you spend the whole first book getting to know and care about the first characters and then they have very little role in the next one. But still a great book.

The Dragon Heir: by Cinda Williams Chima

This is the last in the series... for now. This one for me was the culmination of the story that had developed so far. It had all the main characters, each taking a more even role this time, but also focused a lot on on a new character. But at least this time everyone was involved. There is a lot going on in this one building up to a major magical battle. And thankfully something actually happens in this one, unlike the Twilight saga books. There is more than just a vampirely stare down across an open field. It wrapped up really well. As a whole I would give the series a 8 out of 10. I think I would have enjoyed it more if all the main characters were present throughout the whole series. It's hard to go from book to book changing story and characters. It would have been hard to do in this series since each story really is quite involved, but it's still a bit of a let down when you get through one book and are really attached to the characters and then they are just background pieces in the next. I still highly recommend the books though. Chima is a great author and has inspired me in many ways.

The author is actually working on a fourth book for the series that will focus on the Enchanter group. I don't really see myself reading it. Mostly because I felt that the series wrapped up really well and I don't know how she would incorporate another magical group - unless it's like the others where it's a totally different story that somewhere down the road kind of works its way back to the others. As it is, I am fine with moving on.


Next up...

The Raging Quiet: by Sherryl Jordan

I like the cover of this one more than the one I had. The one I picked up from the library was kind of creepy. I think the only thing that made me pick it up (kind of funny now that I think about it) was a Celtic design in the background. This was on the "Staff Picks" at the library like so many of the others I have read. It is set in an unspecified time and location, but it is reminiscent of the Salem Witch Trial days. It is the story of a young woman who moves to a new home with her much older husband. Shortly thereafter he dies, and she is left on her own. She becomes friends with the local "crazy" and is subsequently branded a witch herself. It is fascinating to get into the mindset of the time and people and to experience some of her thoughts and feelings. Although it's not a "true" story, it is humbling to think that things like this happened all the time. I really enjoyed it. I would give it a 9 out of 10.

The Secret Garden: by Frances Hodgson Burnett

I have grown up with both the movie and the musical and have always dearly loved both. If you have never seen or heard the musical, you definitely should! The movie is really well done as well. And though I was well familiar with the story, I have never actually read the book. I loved it! It is charming, witty, beautiful, and innocent. It was a breath of fresh air. This is one of those classics that I want to keep around for years to come. 10 out of 10.

I have my coworker to both blame and thank for the "Heir" series and the next one, "The Seven Realm" series.

The Demon King and The Exhiled Queen: by Cinda Williams Chima



This series also involves wizards, but unlike the "Heir" series, it is not set in every day life. The characters are totally different, and in my opinion, much richer. Unlike the "Heir" series, this series sticks with the same characters and follows them from book to book, developing the plot, personalities, and conflicts along the way. I have really really enjoyed it. So much so in fact that I have expressed an unfair amount of "anger" towards my friend Mike who lent me the first two books. He had the first two, but then bought the third one on his Nook. As I don't have one, that left me impatiently waiting in line with a dozen other people at the library for the third book. I finally got a library card for the Provo library as well since they always have a much larger quantity of popular books than Orem and put myself on the wait list there as well. If I am lucky, I will get a hold of a copy before I go into labor. But as much as I want to read the third, I was totally dismayed to learn that there is a fourth book coming out. Blast it all, Mike! I threw a dramatic little tantrum at work blaming him for getting me hooked on the series. That's why I wait years to read series. That's one of the reasons it took me 10 years before I read Harry Potter. All the books were out by then. No waiting. And now, here I am, deeply curious about this series and I find out there is another book yet to be written. I thought there were only three! Ugh. Of course it's really not Mike's fault and I apologized and laughed in that freaky - She's pregnant, so I don't know if she means it or not - sort of way. Haha. I am really looking forward to reading both the third - and someday the fourth. This is an excellent series and I highly recommend it. I have enjoyed it quite a bit more than the "Heir" series and those were pretty good. So if you aren't cheap like me, go out and buy them. If you find yourself in the same boat as myself, put yourself on the wait list now. So far, 9 out of 10 stars. Maybe even 9.5.

Lastly, for now...

The Wind in the Willows: by Kenneth Grahame


I actually inherited this one, as well as The Secret Gard
en from my mom as she was getting rid of books that are no longer being read. I grew up with this movie too, though I can't say I ever saw the whole thing. So while waiting for my next book to become available at the library, I picked up this one.

This is a delightful little book. The characters are hilarious. I think one of my favorite things about it was the way the author would say things like "and as everyone knows, proper animal etiquite dictates that..." I found myself giggling every time, because no one really knows what proper animal etiquite is, and yet if it exists, it certainly makes sense. It is by no means a high adventure book. Not a whole lot happens. Toad is the main source of excitement and trouble. I love his character. It's a simple read, and though sometimes boring, it was cute and simple. A nice break from books that involve more energy and thought. :) I think of it as a children's book, but some of the wording is not very simple and the characters periodically call each other an "ass" which I found a little shocking. So it's hard to know where the book really lies as far as audience. But I still enjoyed it. 6.5-7 out of 10 stars.

And that about wraps it up for now. Go find a good book!

1 comment: