Sunday, June 26, 2011

Cha-Cha-Cha-Changes

We never thought it would happen - but Ryan and I both received new ward callings.

We were married in July of 06 and were made Sunbeam teachers by October. The class had some great kids, but they were not very trusting of us as it was nearly the end of the year and they had already had several teacher changes and multiple substitutes. In fact, I remember one day we were heading up to class and we saw one of our girls with her parents. We said hello as we walked by. She blinked in response, turned to her parents, and said, "I don't like those guys." Sad!

Oh well. The year ended quickly enough and we were issued a new Sunbeam class. This time it was much easier to bond with them as we were their teachers for the whole year. They were a lot of fun.

The following year we changed to the six year old class. I only taught with him for a week or two before I was called as the primary pianist. I have been there ever since. Ryan has been moved a time or two, but we have both been happy with our callings. Primary really is awesome.

Then came the phone call from the Bishopric asking to meet with both of us. Ryan kept saying that he thought that it was for me, but I knew it wasn't. Sure enough the call was for Ryan.

1st Counselor in the Young Men's!

Ryan's eyes widened at the call, but I think we both kind of knew it was coming and at least suspected it would be the Young Men's. He of course agreed right away. He will primarily be over the 14 year olds. And how appropriate - their first big activity is a back packing trip. Boy did they pick the right guy!

I am sure Ryan was nervous about it, but he will do such a great job. He will be an incredible role model for these boys and I am so excited for him! Just sad that I won't see him in primary any more.

Two weeks went by. As I was sitting behind the piano in primary writing in my journal, one of the primary presidency members came to tell me that I was needed out in the hall. Waiting there was one of the Bishopric members. We went downstairs to find Ryan and pull him out of class.

"Well Ryan, you know you are safe!" he began once we were seated in another room.

My mind started racing trying to think what they could be calling me to. I am already in Activity Days and I highly doubt it would be Young Women...

The Primary Chorister.

Say what? I didn't see that one coming. They had just called a new chorister about a month previously. But apparently she wasn't very comfortable doing it solely on her own - and it turns out that she will be moving in a few months anyway, so that's where we were at. They said it would be up to us to decide how we wanted to divide it out - be it Jr vs Sr primary or every other week, or what not.

I have to say I think I am more nervous about this calling than any other I have ever had. It seems easy but it takes so much preparation! And sure, I guess I have had the advantage of being the pianist for a really long time. I have worked with 4 choristers in the time that I have been playing the piano. So yes, I have seen a lot of great ideas, but it still makes me nervous. I talked to the chorister today and we decided to rotate weeks. My first week will be the 17th.

Ryan taught his first lesson last week. It was a bit of an off week with meetings and combined pow wows of sorts, but he did a great job! He is awesome and the boys will love him.

I think we are both going to miss the ease of our previous callings. I know I will really miss hiding behind the piano. But we are both excited. Wish us luck!

5 comments:

  1. Oh man! I have ALWAYS wanted that calling! Jealous! It does take a lot of prep, but what fun! My best memories from Primary happened during singing time. I think that's when I first started to feel the spirit. Really. What an important calling! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck!! You'll both do awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jake has been with the YM and I've been with the YW and we love it! I think primary would be SO fun though. You will be an awesome chorister and I can't wait to hear your funny stories from when you are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chorister is a big job, but you can totally handle it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That fits both of you kind of surprised it didnt happen sooner to be honest you will both do great

    ReplyDelete