Saturday, February 11, 2012

Sound The Trumpets

I did something crafty! Actually three somethings. And I am so incredibly proud of myself!

Behold!

Item #1 (also the one I am most proud of): Bug Themed Car Seat Cover!


Now I know that these covers aren't a "necessity" and are more a fad than anything, but I do think there is some sound reasoning behind owning one.


No, they may not stop all the germs from getting in, or provide a lot of protection from the elements (though it does to some degree.) But if nothing else, it gives people pause before coming up to the car seat and thrusting their face in your child's face, or touching them, or passing on said germs. It at least gets them to ask first. (Well, most people. There will always be some who have absolutely no regard to boundaries. You can't win 'em all.)


And... they are cute. Especially this one. Hehehe. I set out to the fabric store with the goal of finding fabric to "match" his carrier. Black, red, and gray. Not much to work with. I found nothing that I really liked. So I started taking pictures of themed fabric and sending them to Ryan to approve of. He said he liked the bugs best. I thought they were pretty cute myself.


Want to know what the coolest feature of this beauty is? It's reversible! Tada!!!


I love it when they have coordinating fabric. At first I couldn't decide which fabric to get (surprise, surprise considering how decisive I am by nature... NOT), and Ryan wouldn't tell me whether he liked the bright bugs or the dark bugs better. But then I thought, you know, I might as well get them both - and make it reversible. Genius.


I didn't have a pattern for this, though I am positive one (or many) exist. I simply didn't want to spend the money on a pre-made one, and I didn't think it looked that hard to make, though admittedly I am not a very seasoned seamstress. On average I think they cost close to $30-40 pre-made. No thanks. I spent less than $15 on the fabric and velcro for the straps. And if I had chosen a different fabric, I could have done it for even cheaper.


I think it turned out pretty dang good, if I do say so myself. I also learned that when the bright side is facing out, the light streaming through the fabric makes the white words on the inside all colorful. It's pretty cool.


Item #2 and #3: Nursing Covers!


Easy, easy, easy. Again, I didn't have a pattern for this. I did look one up online a long time ago, but for being so simple, it was awfully complicated. I was positive I could do it in a much easier fashion. What it comes down to is preference. I did not care for a button, overall snap, or something I would have to tie. And I didn't think that boning was necessary either [used to make the neck rigid so you can see baby and maintain eye contact. If you sew the straps on wide enough, there is more than enough fabric to allow for this without the boning - though of course it doesn't stay there as nicely]. (If you want any of those thing, then yes, it would be a little more complicated.) But for me, all it took was a yard of fabric. I cut off about 3-4 inches from the bottom, sewed it wrong side together into a tube, flipped it right side out, and wala - there was the neck strap. Then turn, press, turn sew the edges. Then measure the strap around the neck so you stay covered up but can still get your head through the loop. Done.


I bought this fabric last July during our Anniversary date. (Ryan went to a manly store, I went to a girly store while we were waiting for our movie to start). It cost me $4 for each of these. $8 total for two nursing covers, when on average, these cost $30-40 to buy them. I am pretty happy with that deal. :)


Needless to say, I am quite proud of myself (as mentioned several times already). I don't do this stuff terribly often - mostly because I lack the confidence. I have a wonderful sewing machine - and I do know how to use it, but not as in depth as I would like. So now I just need to find more projects...

3 comments:

  1. Diana, they all look so good! You did a great job. I'm impressed that you didn't even have patterns. If you want a list of projects I'm sure I could help out with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive!!! I'm glad you got around to making the cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so i know who got the talent in the family and its not me!!!!! I cant even sew a button, but you did a wonderful job way to go sis

    ReplyDelete