Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Grown Men Craft Too

Okay... so I might get in trouble for calling it a "craft"... but it certainly is an art.

Camping season may be over, but fly fishing sure isn't. This is another one of Ryan's hobbies that has really just developed over the last year or so. He owned a fly rod before that, but he didn't really start getting into it until this year when he starting tying his own flies.

I can't tell you how many times I have called to him from the other room to ask his opinion, or see if he could come help with something and the response would float back, "Uh honey... I am kind of a critical point right now..."

I laugh each time and respond, "You are always at a critical point!" The truth is, I have watched him make these little buggers, and they really aren't easy. And there really isn't a great "stopping point." It's a delicate process!

This back bedroom is Ryan's "Man Cave." It has been a huge blessing to have that extra room because with all our hobbies, we would be in real trouble without the storage. Nowadays you can find Ryan back there whenever he has a free minute, working away on some more flies.

At a glance you would think he was sewing something, right?


This box of flies has actually grown quite a bit since I took this picture. It's now nearly full. Each fly is different and serves a difference purpose. They all imitate different bugs for different areas, seasons, and fish. The boy does his research. One day we were down at Olive Garden in Provo and he asked if we could walk across the street to the river. He pulled out a couple rocks and plants and studied the bugs he found there. When we got home we compared it to the color of thread and materials he had to find the best match. When complete, he tried them out on the river and sure enough - that was exactly what the fish wanted!

He fishes mostly on the Provo River where, though you are allowed to keep some of the fish you catch, Ryan stays strictly catch-and-release. It doesn't hurt the fish and he has a great time. It has been a great stress relief and option for him now that the weather is getting colder and our other outdoor options are gone for a few months.

Something interesting I learned in this process though, is what "hackle" is. Funny enough - normally I wouldn't have known what he was talking about. In fact, I still wouldn't have known the term. But come to find out, I knew very well what he was talking about... and I think almost every girl out there will too...

Recognize this stuff ladies? All those pretty feathers in different colors? And what do we do with them?

That's right... hair extensions. This hackle used to be primarily for flies! This stuff is primo when it comes to getting just the right fly - just the right look for the bug you are imitating. That really was it's purpose. They are genuine feathers, typically from a rooster. But suddenly the fashion world caught wind of this and every girl had to have a feather in her hair. Though they are fun and pretty, they have driven the price of these things through the roof. For both parties, I might add, but especially for the fishermen. If you want to stay on the good side of a fisherman, hide the feathers in your hair! In fact, it's now to the point where if a member of a sporting goods store sees a woman walk through the door - they know what they are after. But they are selling out! Most sporting good places can't keep them stocked!

Don't worry ladies - if you have a feather in your hair - I won't disown you. :) I think they are fun, and they are kind of pretty. I personally don't have any in my hair for a couple reasons. 1. I have never wanted one in the first place. 2. They are expensive. 3. I have a healthy relationship to maintain. Hahaha. But if I was true to the cause, I wouldn't be able to talk to my little sister, or a few of my piano students, or half the women I know... Ryan just shakes his head. The fashion will change eventually.

Aside from the frustration Ryan shares with thousands of other men about the price of hackle, he is loving his little "craft" and taking advantage of it at every chance he can. It's healthy for him. And really for anyone. Not necessarily fly fishing - but having some "release." Some hobby. I have realized that on a daily basis - I really don't have one. Ryan has lots of little hobbies. I enjoy a lot of things, but I don't really "do" anything. That may be because I am working full time, teaching 14 piano students, and trying to get ready for a baby. But just this weekend I started scrapbooking using my digital scrapbooking program again and I am so excited! I love it! Scrapbooking and blogging are my "outs." And I think they are good ones. Preserving memories. That's what it's all about, right?

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! The feathers in the hair. That's so funny. I totally got some the last time I got my hair done. And honestly, I think I'm the only one in Cheyenne, WY who has them. I don't care. I know I'm cool like that. :)
    I have to say, I am quite impressed with Ryan's craft. And, yes, that's totally considered a craft. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Cabellas has banned women from buying them cause they are out and the men are mad about it!! Its all those crafts they are doing cant fish with out them and every other person has them here so i can see why they said no more

    ReplyDelete