Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Out With A Bang

Happy late 4th of July! I hope everyone had a great holiday! Our was good. Pretty low key. We didn't really have any big plans for the day. Really just two things: The Freedom Run 5K and a family BBQ with fireworks that night.

This year Necia, Bill, James, Kara and I all signed up as a family to do the run. We don't actually run it together as we all vary in our speeds, but it's fun to take pictures anyway. I actually went down with my dancer friend Margaret and her cousin, but we didn't even stay together the whole time.

We found James and Kara at the start line, but didn't find Necia or Bill until the end.


I have not run since the Dirty Dash. Not once. My goal for this year was just to keep running. Not beat my time from last year. Just survive basically.

And survive is about what it amounted to. Hahaha. Just kidding. I actually did a lot better than I expected. Even the dreaded hill at the end didn't seem as daunting to me this time as it did last year. It was still hard - but not as bad as I remembered it being. My only complaint is that I wish the music along the sidelines was all much more exciting and upbeat. One station was playing the theme from "Chariots of Fire." Granted, it's a classic and it's all about running, but the song itself is actually pretty slow and makes me think I should be running in slow motion. It wasn't until I passed a station blaring "I Need a Hero" that I got a boost. I love that song, and it's just the tempo that I needed to get going.

Unfortunately, just like last year, I forgot there is a giant timer clock at the finish line so you can have a guess at your time, minus a minute or two from when you actually crossed the start line. Oh well. At least they post your times online later.


After I got my water and snacks, I found Necia, James and Kara who all finished before me. Bill came in a few minutes after I did as did Margaret and her cousin. (Which I am super proud of Bill, by the way. He has been doing that Couch to 5K program and has done really really well! He has already lost 20+ pounds. This was his first "real" 5k and he did a great job!) As I was walking up to Necia my vision started to disappear like curtains were being closed. I decided to take a quick seat and just stretch on the ground. It was really weird. I have never had that before. I was fine during the run. Fine getting my water and snacks. It wasn't until 3-5 minutes after the run I decided to nearly black out. Haha. Oh well. At least I met by goal by "running" the whole thing!


We took a few snap shots and then the family headed off to the parade while I went home to find Ryan. (You can tell I am not one of those beautiful runners that looks amazing after a run. I tend to turn into a cherry.) However, I do have to say I am quite proud of myself. I only came in a minute and a half slower than I did last year and that was 16 weeks pregnant. I gave myself a good pat on the back for that one.

Ryan and I spent the rest of the morning running errands and visiting with family before we headed home for my favorite past time... napping!!!! I love nap time. Love. Love. Love.

When we woke up it was time to put together a salad and head over to the family BBQ at Necia and Bill's. Dinner and company were great. We all hung out until it was somewhat dark enough to justify fireworks. Little kids can only wait so long. However, by that time, it had also started to rain. At first it was just a drizzle, but bit by bit it started to really come down. We set off a few of the basic ones and let the kids run around with sparklers. We had just about decided to save our fireworks for the next day, when Philip, Paul and Joey announced that they had acquired 3 huge aerial fireworks. This year aerials were just re-legalized in Utah, but not all kinds. I think they have a height limit. The kind the boys had were the big ones. And by big.... I mean like these kind:


When asked how the boys came across them, they replied that they found them at Utah Lake amongst firework rubble and beer cans. There's your first red flag. But we decided to let them do their thing. They decided that they needed some type of tube to serve as a launcher. They disappeared for some time, and finally resurfaced with a long back tube. The three of them sat huddled together in the middle of the cul-de-sac trying to decide how to make a go of it. Have you ever heard the saying, "One boy is a boy, two boys are half a boy, and three boys are no boy at all" ? Well...

You gotta understand I love my brothers dearly. But they are boys. Perpetual teenage boys. And Joey is the only one that can actually claim teenage hood. The other two... well... Again, this is not to dis my brothers at all. It's just that it's one thing to have a single boy with a dumb idea. But then when you have two more boys egging them on... yikes.

As we all sat around at watched them walk around the tube, crouch, and discuss technique, Ryan casually made the comment, "We should go look up 'Fireworks gone wrong' on YouTube." We all laughed and he stood up and walked inside. Just as the boys were getting ready to light the firework, I had an image of this whole thing going terribly wrong and joked, "Goodbye Russians. It's been good knowing you." (Yes, we still call them the Russians.)

At long last they lit the firework. Joey and Paul ran for cover while Philip crouched side the tube, his head bowed and turned away with one hand holding the tube upright. We all heard the whoosh sound of the mortar being launched. We craned our necks to look up at the sky.

Nothing. Nothing. Still nothing.

BOOM!!! The mortar exploded into light- out the bottom of the tube. The whole cul-de-sac was filled with sparks, nearly reaching every house in the vicinity. Screams of terror tore from every one's lips as the kids on the sidewalk scattered like ants, screaming and scurrying away as fast as they could.

The moment the screaming stopped, the air was filled with hysterical laughter. Philip staggered away from the center of the cul-de-sac, his hand on his ear, pumping his jaw open and closed. No doubt hearing would be a little rough for the rest of the evening. But thankfully, other than that, and what appeared to be a burn on his leg, he was unscathed. This turned out to be even more miraculous once we saw the tube. The bottom half was by all definitions shredded. Joey and Paul went to recover the tube and came back laughing.

"Just don't tell dad," they said.

"Why?" we asked.

"Well it was his idea to use it, but the only thing he said was, 'Just don't blow it up.'"

Of course! There aren't even words. Turns out that mysterious black tube wasn't just a random thing dad had lying around. It was to his air blower. Yup. Looks like the Russians owe dad a new one.

With hearts racing, we all sat under the porch laughing and reliving the terrifying moment. Why on earth didn't we think of recording that? We would have had our own "Fireworks gone wrong" YouTube moment and I guarantee we would have had a ton of hits!

But nearly blowing Philip's hand off once wasn't good enough apparently, because Paul and Joey disappeared in search of a replacement tube. After all, they still had two more "perfectly good" ones. They returned a while later with a smaller tube. I don't know where they got it or what it went to. This time instead of leaving one of them to be the guinea pig, they both ran for cover once it was lit.

Nothing. Nothing. Still nothing.

Deja vu?

BOOM!!! The mortar exploded at ground level again raising new shrieks of terror as the burning ashes raced out in each direction.

Thankfully no one was hurt - again - but the fun and games ended there. There may, or may not be a dent in the middle of the cul-de-sac now. No, there is no may be. There definitely is. Thank goodness that was the worst of it.

When we questioned the boys about how hard it was to launch it in the air, Joey responded, "Well there was an arrow pointing up, but the other end said 'This End Up.' What the heck is that supposed to mean?!"

With gratitude that no one was seriously hurt, we decided to call it a night. Dad showed up before the second failed attempt at the big firework and was informed that his air blower tube was no longer functional, so now the boys will definitely be held responsible for replacing it.

Ryan and I went home and got ready for bed. And though we certainly thanked our Heavenly Father for protecting our "no boy at all" trio that night, we also spent a good amount of time thinking about, talking about, and expressing our gratitude for this amazing country in which we live.

We are the luckiest people alive. To be living here with all the freedoms we enjoy... who could ask for more? To think of the thousands of men and women out serving our country, giving huge portions of their life in protection of ours - it is very humbling indeed.


Thank you to all those who are serving this country, home and abroad, in all the different aspects and duties. I am so proud to have a brother who is part of the Air Force. I am humbled with gratitude to both of my grandfathers who fought in WWII to keep us a free nation.

I do not understand how people can continue to fight to take God out of the picture. He is the picture. He is the whole reason we exist. And even if people refuse to believe in Him, what harm does it do to allow the rest of us to believe? Leave the Pledge of Allegiance as it is. If they ever take "under God" out of the pledge in schools, I will be teaching my kids at home the real pledge.

We truly are blessed to be a part of this great nation, and this great work. It is not without its flaws, and our leaders are not without need of our prayers. Keep them in mind. We have some rough roads ahead, but we will come out okay if we keep our eyes and hearts centered on the Lord. Not as easily done when Satan is trying so hard to pull us down. But isn't it comforting to know that just by being here on earth, we can know that we are fighting for the winning team? "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

Happy 4th everyone! (Belated as it is.)

4 comments:

  1. Awesome post Diana! I wish so badly we could have been there to celebrate with you guys. I was telling Fred this is the first year as part of your family that I haven't spent the Fourth with you guys. So sad. I'm grateful you shared the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome to keep up your running with being pregnant! Congrats! And it was fun to "see" Margaret :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I am laughing as I read this cause man a live leave it to them to blow the fire work the wrong way. Maybe they will get it right on the 23rd? I too am great full for both Grandpas who served and for a brother who is as well. I miss my family who has served and will serve but am glad to live in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post Diana. I wish I could have been there with you all. I think we are all aware of how jacked up our country is, but how great at the same time. I am happy to serve knowing there are people like you who are willing to stand up for what is right and keep our nation running as it should.
    Hopefully we'll see you before too long.

    ReplyDelete